My 2 hens need a good home

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by memepost, Jun 13, 2011.

1. memepost

memepost New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    San Diego-North Park
    Hi! I have 1 Blue Dorking and 1 Speckled Sussex that I need to find a great home for anywhere near/in San Diego. I will bring them to you, as long as it's not too far! I simply just do not have the space for them in my tiny neighborhood, and I have been turned in by my neighbors. I have received a notice from the city to relocate my hens. :*(

They both started laying in December and are healthy, happy hens. Please call me if you are interested, no charge for these gals!

My number is 858-205-3362, Meme.

2. ShaunaCH

ShaunaCH Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Meme,

We live in North Park and preparing our coop right now, and have been on the look-out for pullets. We are 50 feet away from our neighbors and back up against an alley. Our neighbors all cool with us. I would love to help out and you could still visit them too;) We would still want to add one more hen, so there will be 3 in total. How soon are you required to find a new home? We still need to purchase supplies, unless you have some you can supply us in the meantime.

-Shauna

3. memepost

memepost New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    San Diego-North Park
    Hi Shauna! Thanks for responding. I actually found a home this afternoon (a lady up near Escondido), so I am going to give her first dibs. We are meeting next week. If for SOME reason it doesn't work out, I will give you a ring (got your number also).

The hens are amazing, and actually can be quite funny...unfortunately I must have a few neighbors whom are too close. I have a feeling it's the ones in the alley (across from our fence), because that's the closest people and where I don't have even close to 50 ft of distance.

I am not giving up though, a friend of mine is working on a petition to refine these laws. I think I'll let the dust settle and try it again in about a year. I spent so much time on the coop, can't let that go to waste!

Good luck!

FYI, I've found a nearby feed store that is handy, http://www.sandiegopetsupply.com/ for scratch and organic feed. They are open on the weekends which was good for me. Also, I started putting garden weeds/clippings in the coop--they love to mess around in it and pick through the goodies.

4. ShaunaCH

ShaunaCH Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Hi Meme,

Good to hear you may have found a good home. Keep me posted.

I live in the Altadena district and so does my Mom who is very involved in neighborhood community changes. She was part of getting the community garden permit fees removed and I have requested help with changing these chicken laws too - 50 feet is a bit much in North Park. We are more than 50 feet from our neighbors, but will be stretching it as far as 50 feet from our own home (which I think is a ludicrous part of the law). Considering the number of yippy dogs that wake me at all hours of the day and night, it really angers me that people complain about chickens.

Oh, and where did you buy your chickens? Did you raise them from chicks? Thanks for the supply link;)

Best,
    Shauna

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  5. Laurelm

Laurelm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    San Diego County
    Quote:Hi - If you still need to find a home for them I'd be happy to let them join my coop. I have lots of happy hens in Valley Center. They free range and have lots of handsome roosters to look after them.

I live in Valley Center and work in Mira Mesa. Just PM me or e-mail me if you'd like me to take them.

Take care,

Laurel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by