My 2 lil Easter eggers are almost a month old now...hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DixieChickie, Mar 28, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Is it to early to tell if they're hens or roos? I feel like they're hens [​IMG] [​IMG] Thoughts [​IMG]
    Here's Speckles..very inquisitive.
    [​IMG]

And Chloe...always looks so peaceful, just have a feeling it's a lil hen.
    [​IMG]

2. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    I can't really tell... One helpful tip that can help lead you to the sex of easter eggers is if their comb has three distinct vertical rows of bumps then it is probably a rooster. If you can't see the vertical rows, then it is likely it is a hen. This is not a 100% sure way to sex them, but it works for me. Another way to take a guess at the sex is on how fast their feathers are coming in. Hens usually feather in faster than roosters, but your two chicks look to have the same amount, so I am taking a guess that they are both of the same gender. Here is some hen vibes [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sorry, but it looks like your top one there is a cockerel. Comb is getting pretty big, and color is slowly signifying male.

4. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Yeah, after theron commented I went out and checked and was a lil crestfallen when I took a closer look at Speckles....at least it has a non gender specific name, right? LOL I live in the country with 6 acres, so as long as he is not a snot, like the roos that used to chase me as a child, he can stay! LOL

5. crazy4chix

crazy4chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Speckles is probably a cockerel. I raised an Americauna chick that looked almost identical. Last year, I bought 4 chicks from a feed store that were 98% guaranteed to be hens. Three of them were roosters! Speckles has a long neck, longer, thicker legs and stands upright - probably a cockerel. I am sorry! Chloe is probably a hen.

6. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I'll keep my fingers crossed that your Speckles is a hen! [​IMG] I have a mystery breed bebe myself who is somewhere btwn 3-5 weeks old & a lot are saying "roo". It needs to be a hen! [​IMG] I think Chloe is definitely a hen though.

7. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    I also say both a hens. Combs seem to small for month olds even for pea combs.

8. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    I was going to guess both hens, until I saw Illia's post about Speckles possibly being a roo.

So, Chloe: pullet

Speckles: ? (I WANT speckles to be a pullet)).

So,for educational purposes, what makes that coloring suggest male? I thought there had to be red, yellow, or orange mixed in on the shoulders, back, or neck to make the difference. How can you tell a silver pullet from a silver cockerel without the red, yellow, or orange feathers?

Glad speckles can stay even if he's not a pullet! [​IMG]

9. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Im guessing both are girls [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:The chick is too young to use the red/brown shoulders rule. Consider there's still silver duckwing males and males with columbian genes to hide the red/gold in the shoulders, plus, he's too young for that. The pointer to me is mainly his excess black and the way his white is coming in on the chest. It is hard to describe, but in true Silver Duckwings, (no columbian or gold or other colors in there) - They look just like what your chick looks like. For a while they appear to be female in color, then gradually get solid black/white almost "lacing" in the chest, neck, shoulders, etc. Finally at their second or third feathering stage around 3 months and older, you'll notice either a white body and black in the saddle/hackle or a black body with white in the saddle/hackle/shoulders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by