My 2 little Barred Rock chick's, I think i have one of each????? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by k2chickens, May 6, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been told to look for...

smaller more symmetrical dot on head = pullet
    darker color = pullet
    darker leg's = pullet
    comb size..."obviously" lol

^^^^Especially for picking out pullet barred rock's

Judging by what i have, i believe the black'er bellied chick with the slightly larger comb "i know, i know" is my girl. Where as the other one i bought is her brother :lol

When i was looking closer, i could deffinatly see small tail feather's coming from our yellow bellied chick where as our darker bellied chick had next to none. So here is the break down....

chick 1....

Black belly
    Larger comb
    Darker feet

Chick 2....

Yellow belly
    Smaller comb
    Slightly lighter feet
    A bit larger than chick 1

They both came from the straight run bin at my local RK. But the boy having a smaller comb is really throwing me off. So, what do you think guy's??? Im leaning pullet on chick 1 and Roo on chick 2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  2. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I don't know about the "dot" method, but the one on the left in the bottom photo is a female.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You could have one of each there. Belly color has nothing to do with sexing BRs. Headspot plus leg black plus down color are the traits you look at.

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Take a look at these. These are 2 Barred rocks that I hatched from SpeckledHen. They did in fact turn out to be a hen and a roo.

Barred Rocks - I think I have one boy (left) and one girl (right)
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock #1 Legs on Left above
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock #2 Legs on Right above
    [​IMG]

Are you sure yours are Barred Rocks? Is it possible that they are Black Sex-Links? I think when they are chicks they look very much alike.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ed is right. At that age, black sexlink cockerels have a headspot and the pullets have none. They are very similar to BRs then.

7. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Because of the color of the legs......I don't think they are barred rocks. I wanna say Cuckoo Maran or Dominiques.....I might be wrong that's just a guess:)Good luck!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    is there a reason why no one has help'd me out yet?? i feal like no one likes me??

Most folks have various things to do, and there are lots of threads in lots of sections. And that's just this website. A wait of a couple of hours in the middle of the day is not that uncommon. If no one answers in two days, then maybe...​

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    The only way I know is when one crows or lays an egg [​IMG] LOL

Did anyone notice that in the first picture the one on the LEFT, I meant left, looks like it has a heart shaped dot? So cute.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  10. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    How in the world did you get them to just lay there on their backs like that. [​IMG]

What I've heard is that the hens have/develop a dark splash going down the front of their legs. Mine all had that. But the one I thought was a boy was lighter than the rest and had an irregular head spot turned out to be a hen...so what do I know. I'll see if I can pull up a picture of them when they were chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by