my 2 silkie roos going at it! update...Nov 2nd

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BBK, Oct 26, 2009.

1. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    They have lived together since I got them....and i guess have always gone at it, but it stopped...But I see Mr B going after the girls, (2 of'em)

Well, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Mr.T was laying down in the corner, until I got up closer and was watching what Mr.B was doing to him. He had pecked his head so much there was blood.... I freaked!!!! Had to basically pull B off of T...Grab T and took him out...I don't think he would have lasted to much longer. So now i have T in the sunroom, in a dog crate recuping... (he was crowing already this AM) [​IMG]

Now, my question.... after T recovers, do i take B out and stick him in the dog crate? For how long.... Boy you don't know how mad i was....and DH wanted to stick him in with the big girls, so he would know what being picked on was all about...

What happens if this doesn't work? I can't keep them separated forever, they're going to be in the same coop come winter....I can't keep T in the sunroom, this is where our Christmas tree goes.

Will T give me poultry dust like the chickies? I'm in that too, with my cochins babies...they're going out too...soon...Then i'll have to worry about them also with B...
    Melinda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nov 2nd. Yesterday T went back out with the girls, i first took B out. He ran around and around the chicken tractor, PO...ed!! Attacking the fence, it was not nice. And T, who's a wimp, did his little dance of "get away" pretty funny, but I'm sure he meant business...lol

And as an added little dig to B...Mr. T pulled the girls tail feathers, both of them...

So, now Mr. B is in the crate, I have a call in for rehoming, i'm hopingto get a call today, if not, he's going to the auction next Monday.

BUT... my son wanted to stick him in the the bigger girls, but chickened out last night. I don't know if they'll except him or not, there's NO rooster with them. What do you think?
    Melinda

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    This situation sucks-last week my silkie roo killed his brother. SO sad and for the life of me cant figure out why? They were rased together and free range 10 hours a day..It was bad and he plucked every feather off of his head and the comb was ripped apart...I was not home so I dod not see what sparked the fight. This was the second time my silkie roo tried to kill another. First time was just the day prior to another silkie roo. they are from differnt coops so I was there when the fight happened and quickly broke it up. The killer has been in jail ever since! That is where he will remain..sorry it happened to you:-(

3. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    aw no....you too... i thought Silkies were so docile and friendly.. I'm beginning to rethink this... T can't go back in yet until he heals and I get all of the blood off of him. i didn't even try yesterday, i didn't want to stress him anymore than he already was. He had scrambled eggs this morning when i got back from driving the school bus. He's acting fine now, i thought he was going to died in my arms last night, he just dropped his head and i thought for sure he was a goner.

So, I wonder why they do this???
    Very sad..

melinda

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:GIRLS!!! My guys were born together -housed together for the last 10 months and the very first time I accidently left them cooped up to long ( In a 8 x 8 coop) he kills him-trauma to the head! He is a bully-he will remain caged indefinately(big cage) unless I need for breeding-which I do darnit...The dead one was docile and sweet-maybe he looked at one of the girls funny IDK but it was heartbreaking-they do it once they'll do it again...I free range them 10 hours aday and I think that helps alot with fighting but to leave them locked up was my fault-There was 10 girls and 2 boys in there ( 10 standard size hens and 2 silkie roos!!!)

5. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    you're probably right...girls!!!

Mine are only 6 months old, going on 7... but i did see B jumping the girls, and i've never seen T do it... maybe protecting his terriory. Also B is about 4" taller than T. And has gray in his hackles. Where T is white and i'm not sure what's in him. So, i was hoping for him to do his thing. I won't be dissappointed in getting rid of B if i have to. He better watch out!!!

Melinda

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Yep. I have two roos and 3 hens and 5 chicks (sex?). the roos tend to battle a bit one is clearly more dominant. But after hearing sonews story last week I seperated them into two pens and now everyone is happy. I am going to rehome one of the roos but until then at least no one is going to die.

7. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    My silkie roos will fight if they are in with the hens. I have 2 silkie roos & over 30 hens so they have enough to share [​IMG] I started keeping my roos in a seperate pen from the girls. They don't fight that way.

I only hatch out chicks once or twice a year, so I put some of my best hens with only one of the roos for about a week before I start gathering eggs to hatch chicks. It elimated all of the fighting & my chicken house is much calmer.

9. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    My silkie roos will fight if they are in with the hens. I have 2 silkie roos & over 30 hens so they have enough to share I started keeping my roos in a seperate pen from the girls. They don't fight that way.

I only hatch out chicks once or twice a year, so I put some of my best hens with only one of the roos for about a week before I start gathering eggs to hatch chicks. It elimated all of the fighting & my chicken house is much calmer.

Boy, if i have to do this hubby's not going to be happy...he's already throwing a fit b/c we have to make another run, to seperate the big girls from the little ones... My only option may be to rehome the one.... i'm going to have to think about this, how to tip toe around and squeeze these guys in somewhere...

I've got cochins (banty) coming up in age and possibly 2 roos, hope this doesn't happen with them too. It's heart breaking.

Melinda​

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    It rots I had to cage him. I could pick him up and snuggle with him all the time-but he was always the dominant roo. Freeranging with 2 other huge roos-polish-and a EE/favorelle mix he was always trying to kick their butts-and they had 30+ hens between them. At night he was penned with 10 girls and his brother ( who he killed last week)...I can tell how sad he is now that he is in a cage-he can see eveyone freeranging and out when I put everyone to bed-I split a huge garage in half and 30+ birds have 6 nesting boxes a couple of massive ladders and multiple shelves to hang out on freedom to walk the bedded floor probably 30 x 30 to stretch-and there he is on the side just watching and crowing-doing his dance. Its a big cage made for 4 standard size birds for breeding but none the less-he is the only one cages except the white silkie he tried to kill -recouping now-I hate it. Im hopinh I wont feel so bad when my black silkies start to lay eggs and hell have mates to live with temporarily..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by