My 2 to 3 month old chick will no longer walk on one leg :( PLEASE HLP

LuvLexi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Thornton
I am not exactly positive how old my baby chick is but around 2 to 3 months. She has always walked fine and always liked perching on the side of the open container we kept her in. She kind of hobbles on one leg to get where she needs to but keeps falling over and trying to use her wings to catch herself witch obviously doesnt work very well. It is her right leg that she is not walking on however the left leg almost seems to be weak as well. I dont know what this could be or what to do about it! I love her so much I just want to see her well!

Heres a few pics... Not sure if they will help at all but I hope they do!

Here are a few pics of the leg/foot she does hop on but not very well like it is weak
34otr1f.jpg

1zfj7ra.jpg

15o9icg.jpg

Here are a few pics of the leg/foot she wont walk on
2nm3zh3.jpg

13zuy2p.jpg

30xefsm.jpg

A little clip I uploaded to YouTube if it helps at all. Sorry bad video!

Thanks,

Lexi

OK, try vitamins and electrolytes - powdered frmo TSC - it happened to mine and she healed up fine
I thought it was Marek's, but truthfully I think she got into some feed that was stuck in a crevice that got wet and was moldy.
It did happen to two, one died the other made it and is still alive. Have they been vaccincated for Marek's

Ok I will have to try some of those things and see what helps! Would it help if I got her the medicated chick starter at all? She has not had any vaccinations! I havent been able to find any vet around my area that takes chicks or ducks! Its very frustrating! Sometimes her feet are out in front of her. She lays down on her legs with her feet out to the front on each side. He legs were just down for the pictures. Thank you so much for your input!

No, I fed mine medicated chick starter and it still happened - I would definitely get the vitamins and electrolytes - try that first before going crazy locating an avian vet who probably won't even help her.
The previous post sounds correct - it maybe a vitamin deficiency. You have to do it right away, mine died within two days, the other got better but it took a week after giving her the electrolytes

My chicken has almost exactly the same problem but she is older. I thought she had an injury but the vet said he thought maybe calcium deficiency as she just layed her first egg this week. He gave her IV calcium. I have been giving her polyvisol too. They have free choice oyster shell in the coop but I don't know, maybe a deficiency of some kind. When I brought her in the house I did not bring the oyster shell. She had not laid an egg yet at that point. Your chick is a little young to lay but you could try giving a little oyster shell. If she eats it she needs it I guess. The vitamins to get are polyvisol WITHOUT iron. 3-4 drops a day is what I have heard. I put it on smashed up boiled egg. I will look into electrolytes too??? Good luck, it is so hard to see them struggle.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Luckily I have kids so I have pedialyte to try and get her to drink for now! I am going to pick up some other stuff tomorrow! I also have polyvisol from my kids I just have to make sure there is no iron in it! I PRAY SHE MAKES IT THROUGH THIS! And thanks to you guys theres a better chance she may! Thank you so much!

My Chick has the same issue. She hatched 8/2 - funny thing is of the 7 she is the only one with this problem. I thought she had a broken leg but I don't see anything wrong.
Caroline

sad.png
how sad! I am sorry to hear that! How long has she been like that? Buffy seems pretty paralyzed in her legs
sad.png
ITS REALLY BREAKING MY HEART BAD!

I just got off the phone with someone at the place in which I purchase my chicks supplys from! The woman at the supply store said that is sounds like my chick may be getting to much protein from her feed which could cause a paralysis. She recommended isolating her in a laundry basket and not feeding her for 24 hours and giving her water mixed with antibiotics and electrolytes for 24 hours. I pray this works. I will let you know the results.

Back
Top Bottom