My 2 week old ducklings follow my son

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherMo, Jun 17, 2019.

1. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    We got 2 Rouen baby duckling a week ago. They are now 2 weeks. When we brought them outside they started following my 6 year old son. Only him, maybe he looks the most like a mama duck because he's the smallest. They were a week old when we got them so I highly doubt they imprinted on my son. They only get clingy to him when we are outside. Anyone else see this? It's adorable. I'm wondering if they do this because being outside is scary and they are looking for protection?

2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I would bet that is exactly what it is. My ducks love my annoying puppy and follow her everywhere like she's their mom. Of course she licks them clean and nudges them where she wants them to go so I guess she's sorta their mom.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Human imprinted Ducklings will follow anything to feel safe.

ducklvr3 and HeatherMo like this.
  4. ducklvr3

ducklvr3 Chirping

May 29, 2019
    Oklahoma
  5. ducklvr3

ducklvr3 Chirping

May 29, 2019
    Oklahoma
  6. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Well, if it were me, I'd conclude that, however old at the time, they needed someone to imprint on and they chose your son. Did you know that in Chinese culture ducks are the symbol of fidelity because of the strong bonds they make and their everlasting loyalty to them?

I hope he revels in the attention. Ducks are so affectionate and funny that I would imagine he does. I'm smiling ear-to-ear in my family's memory and in anticipation for your family. I hope you guys always will too!

Can your son hand feed them? When we became the standing holiday parents to my daughter's kindergarten ducks they loved cucumbers and my kids could hold one end and the male and female would work the other end furiously. If I got long English-style cukes the kids were confident enough about hanging on through the feeding frenzy. If you try it, cut off the end so the ducks can get to the soft core right away and pull less against your son's grip.

I also have a happy memory of the kids swimming in the pool with the ducks. But, Oh Mama!, what they did to the water! We had the only emerald green water in SoCal! (Naturally, at that point the kids weren't in the water with them anymore! Thank god for our pool guy!!!!!)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  7. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

I wish there were a "LOVE this" button. I'd hit it a dozen times for both sets of pix!!!

casportpony, quackiemama and ducklvr3 like this.
  8. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019

9. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    He is absolutely loving the duckling attention. They LOVE mealworms. One of them will gladly accept mealworm by hand, the smaller one is more skittish and would prefer to eat the worms that the other one drops out of it's mouth before taking from the hand. They were both pretty terrified of us at the beginning but are really warming up to us. I had no idea that ducklings had this much character and could be this much fun. It's my new obsession. They will soon call me the crazy bird lady :)

casportpony, quackiemama and ducklvr3 like this.
  10. ducklvr3

ducklvr3 Chirping

May 29, 2019
    Oklahoma
    My mom and kids call me CDL!
    Crazy Duck Lady!!!

When i leave my mawmaw chased my vehicle!

My husband drove my car yesterday with my kids and when they came home she ran to my car and when he got out she turned around and left!

HeatherMo and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: