My 2 year old chicken died this morning

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rbrink21, Sep 9, 2008.

1. rbrink21

rbrink21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    We got three 2 year old chickens from a friend's neighbor who was moving and needed to find them a home about 2 months ago. They are Plymouth Barred Rocks. This morning I went out and they were all up on their roost (it was still dark out). I left them some food and opened up their coop to their pen. They generally spend mornings in the pen and then free range our garden in the afternoon.
    At lunch I found one of my girls dead in the nest box. She had curled, deformed feet that the previous owner said she had since she got her as a day-old chick. I noticed that she used to spend a lot of time in the nest box but didn't lay eggs consistently.
    This past weekend it has been HOT. In the triple digits. But yesterday it cooled down dramatically to the upper 70s and it was cool last night with this morning being in the mid 50s.
    Could it be that she was eggbound or maybe the dramatic change in temp?
    I'm hoping whatever it was, was physiological and not contagious because I don't want my other girls to die.

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    So sorry about your poor hen. Most likely it was the fluctuation in temps. I've known people who say they always lose a few chickens in the spring when temps go up and down, especially if they've got some sort of illness that wasn't detected.

I had a hen that died when it reached 105 degrees. She was my favorite chicken.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like she's always been a bit down with the curled toes her life and hard egg laying problems. So my guess is either something went wrong inside during the egg making process, and the weather just did her in. Sorry.

4. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    I'm so sorry,,,,I'll be thinking of you today,,,[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    By the way,,,, Warm Welcome To Our Little Corner of the Web,,,You'll make great friends, and have a sounding board too,, Glad to have you here,,,, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm sorry. That's a sad thing to find, I know. [​IMG]
    I would doubt that she died of anything your other girls could catch, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  7. rbrink21

rbrink21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Thanks for the replies! I definitely feel bad about it, and I don't think there was much I could have done. The woman that had them before us never handled them, so they wouldn't let us handle them.

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Aaww, sorry about your girl.

9. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh, I too am so sorry about your loss. I hope your others are just fine.

Anne

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

So sorry about your bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by