My 2 year old hen seems lethargic

mnkytwn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
I have a 2 year old RIRXAustralorp hen. She's never been sick or had any problems. Today I noticed that sometimes she seems to be laying down while the other hens are wondering around scratching in the yard. She's in the same spot as them, just laying there. When I go to pick her up she's feisty as ever and runs away, then starts pecking again. When I go outside, the other hens come running. She eventually follows them. I've never noticed this behavior before. She seems fine besides being lethargic. Any ideas on what it could be? We did manage to pick her up and I felt around and everything felt normal.

She has been wormed. We just did it about a week ago. Poop looks good.

Wazine. We found a poop with round worm and wormed the whole flock. All the other hens are fine, and she has been also.

Wazine only treats roundworms, there are a lot of other worms chickens can get. And like dawg said, she may not have drank enough of the water to even het a good dose of the medication. If she was my chicken, I would worm again with Safeguard or Valbazen.

Last edited:
We are waiting the 10 days to worm again with Safeguard. I only have 5 chickens and they were locked in their run with the medicated water so I'm sure she drank enough of it.

We are waiting the 10 days to worm again with Safeguard. I only have 5 chickens and they were locked in their run with the medicated water so I'm sure she drank enough of it.

Adding safeguard to water is ineffective, it settles to the bottom. Even if it didnt settle it would be too diluted to be effective. Been there, done that.

We put Wazine in their water, as it was only roundworms we found. We are going to follow up by giving them Safeguard orally.

Back
Top Bottom