My 2 year old saved my eggs lives! ;)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    So, I can't smell. Seriously, I can barely smell anything. And I've been wondering if I'll be able to tell my eggs are going bad. Well I took my daughter with me downstairs to watch while I turn the eggs. I rarely let her, because she is sooo grabby. I'm so glad I did. As soon as the top was off, she said, "eeewwwie! it smells like poo poo!" I was kind of surprised. I asked if they looked like poop because some are brown, and she said, "No mommy, they're stinky!!" I leaned in and thought maybe I could smell something rotten. I started sniffing eggs...pointless because I can't smell. Then I thought I found the culprit, put it in a baggie and had her smell it. Nope, it smelled fine she said. Then I started having her sniff the eggs. She found the rotten egg right away. I couldn't tell, but when it was in the baggie a minute I sniffed, and sure enough it was a stinker. I could still barely smell it, but the smell was there. I guess she's going to be going with me to turn the eggs daily now!!

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    What an awesome 2 yr old. Yes take her with you. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    That's awesome! Good girl! [​IMG]

Just out of curiosity......and please tell me to mind my own business.........but why can't you smell very well? I've never heard of that before, although it prolly shouldn't surprise me.......there are people who can't see or hear!

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] She now gets to name 2 of the chickies

5. Jonny

Jonny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Quote:I have a friend who can't smell either. He was born without a sense of smell. It's not a big problem for him, but once his dad played a prank on him.. he asked his dad if a carton of milk was still good because it had expired by one day.. his dad "smelled" it and said, yes, it's just fine!
    So my friend took a big sip and the second after spit it all up... it was nasty he said, sour old milk! I guess he got pretty mad at his dad for being his "helping nose"...! [​IMG]

6. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    No doctor has ever really told me why I can't smell. I also hallucinate smells. For instance, I went to Colorado when I was young and miraculously could smell pine trees. Then it didn't stop. For about 4 months afterwards everything smelled like pine. I also went through a period of 2 months where I smelled nothing but beer. Docs said it just happens sometimes. But after I got my tonsils out I could smell a little. I can recognize mint, garlic, and flowers. And by flowers, I can tell some really strong ones are flowers but they smell exactly the same. Perfumes all smell the same, except on rare occasions I can tell something is different between scents. My husband likes it because I can never tell if he passes gas. ha ha ha. But when I'm pregnant, I can smell bad things and they make me very, very sick. I was violently ill the first 5 months of my pregnancy because of smells. It really sucks. I eat super spicy and salty foods. I put in way too much garlic and spices...most people say its too much. I think its because my lack of smell affects my taste. Oh...and about the milk. I have to taste test milk because I can't smell and the milk wasn't expired, so before I gave it to my daughter I took a big swig...ughhhh it was spoiled and nasty. Good thing I tasted it first!!

She definitely gets to name the chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by