My 2 year old wants to butcher our rooster!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bheila, May 14, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I went out a few weeks ago to feed the chickens and found one of our roosters dead. Lily, my 2yr old daughter ran in to grab him so she could hold him. She loves to hold the dead chickens [​IMG] When I was done feeding I figured I'd do a few more chores before I was going to dispose of the rooster. Once I was ready to dig the hole I went looking for Lily and found her by the chopping block where we butcher our chickens. I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned the corner to see her putting the roosters head in between the nails [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then she reached for the axe. I couldn't stop laughing. It was great!
    [​IMG]
    This is what happens when you raise your children to be accustomed to seeing chickens being butchered [​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You go little one! [​IMG]

Edited to add: at her age it makes sense she would hold the dead ones...they are not moving and flapping around and such...so she can cuddle them and not get scared. She will grow out of that I am sure.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. zippy11455

zippy11455 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Don't you ever feed that kid?...LOL She must have decided it was dinner time!

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    [​IMG] that really is too funny!!! And she is an absolute beauty!!!

5. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I'm just glad I had my phone on me to get the pictures. She does some hilarious things....I'd say this has got to be the funniest by far [​IMG]

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Time to store the axe in a new spot before she goes Lizzie Borden on the live birds?

7. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:I knew someone would say something about the axe being there. She can't get to the live chickens. My husband was butchering chickens, that was the only reason the axe was there [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    LOL she cannot pick up the axe much less swing it. That would be the least of my worries.

I think it is adorable...she knows what she is doing. Daddy kills the birds there and so that bird is dead therefore it goes there and looses its head. very bright little girl for 2 years old.

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It does show a good use of logic, to be sure.
    Somewhere I have a photo our our son at 2, holding a matchbook, and a burnt out match. The book was empty, we'd used the last match to light the halloween pumpkins, but from the photo, I had people asking where the heck I left the matches stored.

10. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    my husband and I are cracking up! Glad our daughter isn't the only odd ball around. When we got the new chicks our 3 yr old asked 'When can we kill them and eat them mommy?' I couldnt' believe my ears! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by