1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 20 week old Brahma Roo is mating.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eddy Chicken, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    My flock will be 20 weeks on Monday. My Brahma Roo (same age) "sowed his oats" with the RIR today...she let him as she squatted and didn't put up a fight while he finished. Is this a sign that maybe they'll be laying soon?

He tried on a Light Brahma yesterday and she didn't fight it either.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Yep, squatting (for roosters or when humans try to catch them) can be a sign that they'll start laying soon. It isn't always, though; my EE hen started squatting when I tried to catch her a good month before she laid.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    Thanks for the reply,

My flock has a nice coop they all go into willingly at sunset after a day of free ranging. Will they most likely choose to lay their eggs in the coop or may I find eggs almost anywhere? They're like cattle in that I know where they are based on time of day. Are their any tell tale signs that they are going to lay an egg?

4. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I've read elsewhere, Light Brahmas start laying at around 26 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by