My 20 wk old americana's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stephschicks, Aug 22, 2013.

1. stephschicks

stephschicks New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    I'm new to raising chickens. I have 4 Americana hens we've raised since they were two days old. (Ok, technically this is my daughters FFA project but I've fallen in love with these crazy birds) We are waiting for them to start laying. We've had 3 pullet eggs over the past couple weeks. We keep them in the coop/run untill mid afternoon then let them free range in the yard and horse pasture until they put themselves to bed in the evening. Then we secure up the run and coop for the night. Are we doing something wrong or they just late in laying?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They're probably just late. I know of one case where a true Ameraucana did not lay til she was past a year old. If you have hatchery chicks they are probably EE's (your spelling is a typical hatchery spelling) but these birds have Ameraucana in their background -- at least as I understand it. I'm no genetics expert. Hopefully yours will start laying somewhere around or even before 30 weeks, which is about when my EE's did.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. stephschicks

stephschicks New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Thanks for the info :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by