My 21 Wk Old Cockerel Just Discovered He's a Man

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, May 16, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have a 21 week old mixed breed cockerel (dad was an EE, mom was a barred rock) who was one of only two chicks born to my Christmas season broody.

He lived with his pullet half-sister all his life, but at age 16 weeks, we merged the youngsters in with our nine older chickens: 8 hens and 1 rooster (his father).

The EE rooster and this new cockerel have managed to get along without fighting thus far, but until yesterday I never saw the young cockerel go after any of his father's girls. He did try to mount the pullet he grew up with a few times, but she successfully rebuffs him every time.

Finally today, I saw him try to mount the most docile of the older hens, a 2 year old buff orpington. She fought back, and they ended up jumping and flailing at each other -- face to face. It was quite a site!

He never succeeded at mounting Buffy, though. Just as he has not succeeded in mounting Drew, his clutch-mate and lifelong companion. Best I can tell, he's still a "virgin," though not from lack of trying.

But it's only a matter of time now until he scores, cuz Pierre's just discovered: he's a man.

I am hoping that he and his dad can work this thing out without fighting. Both of them are pretty docile when it comes to roosters.

I guess we'll find out pretty soon how this is going to progress....

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    daddy roo gonna get mad sonny rooster hitten on his girls. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    At present I have 3 roos that hatched out on New Years. Only 1 has been successful so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by