1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 22 week old SLW just layed her first egg, one hour later, her 2nd!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristenm1975, Aug 23, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've been waiting and waiting and there it was, all nested up in the straw in the egg box. It was so tiny and perfect, nice and hard-shelled. I was prepared to wait a few weeks for the next one, as I've heard that's sometimes the way it works.

I was shocked to discover another identical little brown egg in the gravel of the hen's run, an hour later. She was pecking at it (obviously I'll have to watch her so she doesn't turn into an egg-eater right off the bat!) so I grabbed it quick.

I have four hens, all about the same age, but each one will lay a different colored egg, so I know it was her and not the other girls. How weird is this??

Anyone else have an experience with this?

Thanks!

2. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Wow how cool for you! Although, it could have been another bird, because all their eggs are not the same color. At least at first, they aren't. Our GLW has layed two eggs in 3 days, and the first one was brown, and then the one today, was white. Hello? lol

Do you have pictures? I love the first egg, it's so eggciting!!! Hopefully it was two in one day!

3. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Sounds like you had two hens lay. The egg color can vary. The same hen will not always lay the same color egg as I have learned. Especially new layers. The shade of brown may darken or lighten. Perfect example, I had a hen today lay a total different color brown egg than she did yesterday. I watched her lay both eggs and compared them, one was light with dark brown speckles all over and then today, her egg was dark brown all over with no speckles. Just when you think you have them figured out...LOL! Enjoy your eggs! [​IMG]

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I've had many chickens that laid two eggs their first day. One usually large and one very small or one soft shelled and one normal. I think it's kind of normal when they start laying. She also probably won't lay another one for a day or two so don't get worried if she doesn't lay one tomorrow. It takes a while for their system to get regular.

5. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    It takes approximately 25-28 hours for a hen to form another egg after laying one. They will not lay an egg an hour apart. Their bodies will not produce another egg that rapidly. If you observe their laying patterns, each day your hens will lay their egg a little bit later until it reaches the end of the day and then carries over into the next morning. That's why it looks like they are skipping a day when laying. Example, one of my RIR laid her egg at 7pm tonight so I know she will not lay tomorrow but will be ready to lay bright and early Monday morning like clock work.

6. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Cochins, wyandottes and marans all lay differing shades of brown eggs so chances are it was another hen that also laid for the first time.

When my white leghorns first started to lay, one of them DID lay 2 eggs within a few hours of each other but they were both shell-less (which is not uncommon)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by