My 25 New Baby Buff Orpingtons (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by serinat, Apr 1, 2009.

1. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're here! I'm a chicken mama!

Questions:

1.) No matter how much we lower the light, they still huddle in the middle to sleep. There are a few venturing out to eat, but they're mostly in the middle. No piling, just huddling. Is this okay?

2.) I cannot get some of the crusty poo off off some of these guys! I tried with one, and ended up hurting him (see my other thread about prolapse/pasty butt). Now I'm afraid. Advice?

2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:1. if they are quiet and laying flat when they sleep...they are happy. You could try to lower the light just a little more. When they move out from center...they are too hot. What you want is for them to be milling around the entire area. When they are at the right temp, fed and watered, they either play, eat more, or sleep.

2. I don't have this problem too often but when I have...I just take their butts to the bathtub, use warm water to soften and then it rubs off.

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    If they're not chirping loudly and are just gathered together they're not too cold. What type of light bulb are you using?

I do the bathtub wash with mine if they get pasty butt too.

4. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    those pics are some golden love overload! They are so cute!

5. serinat

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:an 85 watt red bulb.

Quote:thanks! i'm so proud! [​IMG]

6. farmerjill

farmerjill Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    What's the temperature on the floor, under the light?

7. serinat

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    between 90 - 95.

8. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:an 85 watt red bulb.

Quote:thanks! i'm so proud! [​IMG]

Great Choice with the Buff Orpingons! I absolutely love mine. They are by far the most out going and I hope yours are similar to mine.

In regards to your question about the heat, I would use a 250 watt red heat lamp even if it means putting the brooder up higher. I have used the 250s every batch of chicks I raised and never had much of a problem with huddling on but the coldest of nights. They will mill around the whole container more and eat and drink more. Just my suggestion, hope it helps.

Can't help on #2, has never happened to me.

vortec

9. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Congratulations on your new BO chicks [​IMG] I got mine last Friday... 26 BO's and I'm loving them. They are a week old today and have already grown sooo much, so enjoy them little cuties. We have a 250 red light... works great. Keep the pics. coming........... [​IMG]

I only had a couple pasty butts and washed them off with warm soapy water..... did fine.

10. MamaJohnson

MamaJohnson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    I was worried about my babies huddled together too, but finally decided they must just like each other's company! I even tried moving the heat lamps around, changing the areas where the temp is warmest, ect., and they still huddle together in the same corner.

As for the poop, each day I pick up my babies for a simple inspection (and some snuggle time for me!) and have a bowl of warm water with me and some small clean rags. If there's poop on fuzzy little bottoms, I dip a rag and hold it to the site for several seconds until the poop is softened. Then it wipes right off. Rags go in a bleach dip, then into the wash, and we go again the next day. Pretty easy.

Congrats on your new little ones! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by