my 25 week old silver polish is acting weird

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silver1polish, Aug 5, 2014.

1. silver1polish

silver1polish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    Hi guys my 25 week old silver polish silva is acting kind of weird... she is digging in both of my nesting boxes is it beacue.. she dose not like the bedding? I really don't know [​IMG]please reply fast thanks [​IMG] Silver1Polish

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Has she started laying yet? Could be she's getting ready to. If she's not showing any signs or symptoms of illness, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    yes she has started laying

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If she's new to laying, she's still figuring out her technique....even if she's not so new to laying, sometimes they just like to fuss.
    I wouldn't worry about it unless she starts laying somewhere else, then you'll need to check out the nests make sure there's no other critters or bugs in there.

5. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    i put down befor the bedding diatomaceous erath it helps keep the lice and mites away and yes she is still kindof new to laying ( I think )

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You think she's new to laying? Did you just get this bird?
    If so, then she's new to your particular nests and will take time to settle in, a couple weeks usually.

7. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    nope i got her at 2 weeks old on march 1st with my 2 other birds a golden polish and rhode islnd red

8. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    oh and thanks for the advice [​IMG] silver1polish

9. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    As aart mentioned in their post, sometimes chickens just like to fuss. I know mine sure do !!! Every time I do a complete nest box change, my hens will all stand around and 'cluck' at me.[​IMG] Then, when I'm done, the whole gang of them will go in for the 'inspection'. They'll hunt and peck and dig and scratch in them until there's not a shred of bedding left! Apparently they're not fans of my housekeeping abilities...lol !!! So, like people already mentioned, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. This motto has saved me much angst in my lifetime! Good luck, and try to just sit back and enjoy your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by