My 2nd hutch now for chicks build plan w/pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by secuono, Sep 4, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Hey, I recently finished my rabbit hutch and am not planing one for the chickens. It'll be used for chicks and sick or injured birds. It's a stand alone lean to and it will be between the coop and well house. It's more shaded in that spot, easier to see and a little more safe from anything that might want to take a bite outta them. No back, it will be against the coop. Front and sides will be wire w/solid wood for winter, bottom just wire. Haven't measured the space, but thinking about 8ft long, 2ft deep and 1.5ft front w/a 2.5ft back.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Got a bunch of 2x3s, real wire cutters and newer long nose pliers, couldn't find any needle nose.
    Here is the 1st one I made. This new one will be longer and flipped so the wood back will now be the front.
    [​IMG]

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Looks good. [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have rabbits and I love that set up. My rabbits would love it as well. [​IMG]

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Ahhh! The rain just won't quit! I haven't even marked the wood or cut any of them...ughh.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Ok, sketched up sizes needed and gonna do it the harder way, but it'll cut down on...cutting, lol.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    It went a bit awry, but that's ok, lol! I'm now thinking of making a roof of 1x1in that is hinged so I can open it. Two roof pieces, no more front doors. 1ft drop in a 2ft distance is a bit strong and it's also low enough that the opening roof is best. Put it together out in the yard so no moving it. [​IMG]
    On a side note, I need to dry the muck around the coop and well house, then pour concrete. What a mess. Also need to fence off the little space between. Ugh. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Bottom and sides are up. Made little front doors, idk if the top should be a door or not. Tossed on a tarp for now. Tossed in the chicks from the coop brood area. I'll figure out the roof thing tomorrow and be finished then. Gonna move the chicks from the house to the same hutch, thinking of putting in a temp divider though for now.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Great Job from Portland. [​IMG] R U a builder or builder type? You seem so pro.

Steve

10. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm a DIYer, out of need and cus it keeps me busy. [​IMG]
    I'm learning as I'm going, so it's not perfect, but far better than you'd expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by