my 2x 23 week (approx) australorps are they hens or roos.

moni07

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
I am just wondering if these australorps are hens or roos, will be very appreciative if anyone can help me out. First 2 pictures are of one chook and 2nd 2 pictures are of the other chook.

so what points it out as a roo? the woman who sold them to me a few weeks ago told me that she was certain they were both hens as i told her i couldn't have roos in town, but i did have my doubts coming (which is why i posted them on here)

Before the experts answer this question, I would like to add my own concern. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures this moment, but I bought six chicks four weeks ago, two of them are Black Australorps. They were equals at the time of purchase, but now one still looks like a fuzzy little chick, more or less, and the other is the biggest of all my chicks by far (almost double) and quite dominant. She (or he) is also the least friendly, really not friendly at all, never has been. Some of my other chicks I am sure are pullets have also been growing their combs already, but this BA in question has not... nor has "it" grown any tail feathers whatsoever; still just a fuzzy chicken butt.

So, with that bit of background out of the way, my two direct questions would be:

1. Is growth rate an indicator of sex?
2. Would a BA roo have a comb (or tail feathers) started by now (at four weeks)?

Thanks.

the bigger red comb and wattles on the second and his saddle feathers (long thin feathers right in fornt on his tail) but the first pullet is a jersey giant, I see yellow feet on her australrops have pink bottoms on their feet

yes i didnt notice the saddle feathers until i uploaded the photo and now i can see them. Guess i'm going to have to see if i can find him a new home. I thought he would have started crowing already if it was a roo?

But the 1st pullet is not a big chook, it's just an average sized chook. Smaller than no 2 chook pictured.

Back
Top Bottom