my 3 humidity gauges all read differant!..what do i do??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhen, Dec 26, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hello..i am trying to get my bator set up for duck eggs..its a LG still air...so..i have 3 thermo/humisity gauges in there now..to test it out..and all three read about the same temps...BUT..all 3 have differant humidity readings...i have a reptile one..it reads 65%...i have a springfield one also..that one reads 70%..and i also have a accurite digital probe one..that one is reading 40%...huh!?....[​IMG]...so..how do i know what it right?...please help..thanks, Wendy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is the accurite body in the incubator? If so, I'd go with the 65-70 reading. There is a way to test for their accuracy dealing with salt water, but I forget what it is exactly. Speckledhen knows though. Perhaps you can find it through serach.

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hi, thanks!...the accurite is outside the bator..with the probe inside..sitting about where the eggs will set at...it is right next to the reptile gague...and they are reading way off....thanks, Wendy

4. silkiechicken

If I remember right, the accurite humidity sensor is IN the body of the device, so put the whole unit in the bator to measure humidity. 40% is probably the room humidity!

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:i AM an idiot!..[​IMG]...god save the poor ducks!...[​IMG]...thanks so much!...[​IMG]...

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    also..while i have you here...[​IMG]...what do you recommend the temp/humidity be?..I keep getting conflicting answers...some say 55%..some say 70%..some even say 84 %.....[​IMG]....[​IMG]..

7. silkiechicken

I've never done ducks, so probably not the best to ask!

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:darn!..[​IMG]...thanks anyways

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Carefully place the cup containing the salt/water mix in a re-sealable plastic bag. Place the hygrometer in the bag, away from the cup of salt and water. Note: make sure none of the salt/water mix comes in direct contact with the hygrometer, or the hygrometer may be damaged. Completely seal the bag.
    Place the sealed bag aside at room temperature for 8-12 hours. Pick a location free of drafts, out of direct sunlight, and away from heating or cooling vents. The temperature should be fairly constant.
    Hygrometer should read 75 %
    If not then you will know how much it's off and can allow for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    P.M. Terrielacy as she is the duck raiser and she is so helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by