My 3 little White Rock chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moonshadow, May 10, 2011.

1. moonshadow

moonshadow Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Starkville, MS
    I posted a thread about the one poor little chicks bum earlier, but now I have real pictures to share. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanging out with my little dears. Got pooped on for it too. LOL.

[​IMG]

My son enjoying one of our little ones.

[​IMG]

Peaches, Vanilla and Squeaky

[​IMG]

Here they are after they got their bums wiped. They came a little pasty from the feed store, so I thought it'd be good to wash them a bit.

[​IMG]

The saying "sleeps like the dead" takes on a whole new meaning when you have chicks. hehehe... It's soo hot here today. It's 80 degrees with VERY high humility right now. Those chicks were so warm I turned off the heat lamp.

The End. [​IMG]

2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    They are so sweet. That little boy is very handsome. [​IMG]

3. moonshadow

May 8, 2009
    Starkville, MS
    Thank you.

Someone told me we can't handle them because it stresses them out and they might die. [​IMG] Is that true?

4. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    You look so content in the first pic and your little man is so cute! I have followed that "no handling rule" the first 24 hours but always get mine from an online hatchery and they have been in the postal system for generally two days.

One thing I noticed, and I hope you take this in the helpful spirit in which it is meant, I would suggest changing out that newspaper for several layers of paper towels because newspaper is slick and can contribute to spraddle leg, a.k.a splay leg. You can even put paper towels over your bedding of choice for a few days. There is a no charge care sheet on cacklehatchery.com that is loaded with new chick care.

5. moonshadow

May 8, 2009
    Starkville, MS
    Oh, straddle leg! I should have seen that being a potential issue. I used to raise pigeons. *clunks self on head* Duh.

Now they are about 7 days old. Do I still need to worry about straddle leg? Feel free to pelt me with suggestions. I have done this before and with all sorts of baby birds. I should know better, but it's been a few years.

6. Momaha

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    See, you just needed a friendly reminder as your experience with baby birds puts you way ahead of the learning curve!

7. moonshadow

May 8, 2009
    Starkville, MS
    I have them on paper towels now. [​IMG]

I see your license plate avatar is from OK. Are you from Oklahoma? I ask because I'm from MN, but we're moving to OK this summer. My husband is going to go to OSU for his PHD.

8. Momaha

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    Quote:Yes, I live in Norman so you will be about 100 miles N of me but I travel through Stillwater to go to my folks house- I'm assuming your moving to Stillwater but OSU does have a campus in Oklahoma City. I know a few people from MN and they are "MN Nice!" as the saying goes.

Let me guess- vet medicine?

9. moonshadow

May 8, 2009
    Starkville, MS
    Wow. Yes, I know where Norman is. And yes it's the Stillwater OSU campus. My husband is going for his PHD in Accounting. He's not an animal person like me. My parents have a farm here and they are animal lovers like me. The chicks are actually for them. They just let me have them for a few days to enjoy them. I'm in the city. [​IMG] Blahh!! Hoping to get a country rental in OK, though.

10. marndan

marndan Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    So I am also very new...I have told my son not to hold them although he still does a bit. Is it OK to hold them? Mine are about 8 days old...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by