My 3 month olds joined the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Jun 5, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

All my chickens are in one coop tonight, of their own doing!! I had 7 three month olds housed in a small 4X8 coop. Both my larger coop and smaller connect to the same run. Over the last month I have been letting the younger ones out in the run while the older flock free ranges. Then I opened both coops to the run so everyone could come and go. Tyhe younger chicks started hanging out in the big coop when everyone was out during the day but they went back to the small coop at night. Tonight I went to close up and everyone was roosted in the larger coop. Yea!! I have lots of roosting areas and all the grown chickens have their favorite spots. The little guys just picked a spot that wasn't being used. We'll see how everyone is tomorrow. I have been worried about integration and getting the timing "right" and then they went and did it on their own.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That is always a plus [​IMG] I had done the same thing with my bantams...let them out with the big ones while outdoors and eventually they followed them into the large coop at night too [​IMG]

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    It's so nice when no one is getting beat up. Hopefully the peace continues.

4. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    Glad someone else is having good luck too. I merged my 3 month olds with one of my flocks today as well. There has been a lil pecking and chasing, but that is to be exspected to establish a pecking order. Still going to keep an eye on them close though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by