My 3 months old Amaraucana is acting strange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kiki1010, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Kiki1010

Kiki1010 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    I have been taking care of her along with other birds that are about the same age (3 months) since they are 3 weeks olds.

I noticed this morning my Amaraucana (sp?) was trying to eat in sitting position.
    This is the same bird that I noticed acting weird when she was eating a couple days ago.
    She would stretch her neck out like something was stuck in her throut when she ate.
    At that time I felt her crop and didn't feel anything unusual so I didn't really do anything.
    She was eating and drinking, and acting fine otherwise then.

All other birds are business as usual running around eating and drinking.
    She is one of the biggest and fastest in the group and usually always running around everywhere and hardest one to catch.
    But this morning, I could catch her right away and it looked like she wanted to sit whenever possible.
    She is not limping and there is no sign of injury that I can see. She just wants to sit down. I saw her pecking at the feed and drinking but her crop feels empty.

I brought her to a brooder in the garage.
    She gets up and move away when I try to catch her but still tries to sit.
    Now I noticed she has her mouth open and breathing funny. She is breathing like she would when she is hot. She is still alert.
    I can give her electrolyte water but she doesn't act lethargic so she will probably put up a fight using what's left of the energy she has.
    Should I go ahead and give electrolyte water to her or wait and see for a while?
    I know things can turn bad to worse so fast sometime, I wish I knew what to do! :(

2. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    sounds like dehydration. what we did when one of our hens got stuck under the porch for 2 days without water is

my wife would hold her so she could drink with no effort, it worked she slowly got better

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Keep a close eye on her. A three week old should have some food in her crop. Is she eating only chick starter? She may be adjusting her crop, or she may have something stuck farther down. Did she have a Mareks vaccine?

4. Kiki1010

Dec 10, 2013
    I saw her drinking. She is on the perch. I will keep close eye on her. Thanks :)

5. Kiki1010

Dec 10, 2013
    She is 3 months old. She has been doing very well till this morning. She is on the grower feed now. I felt her crop and she may developing sour crop maybe... It was small but a bit squishy feeling. All my birds come from the same breeder and none of them have had a vaccine.
    She is not breathing with her mouth open right now. I will continue to keep close eye on her. Thanks :)

6. Kiki1010

Dec 10, 2013
    She is doing much better. I think she can return to her coop but we are expecting freezing weather this week so I will keep her in the brooder in the garage rest of this week. I have added two more smaller birds to keep her company.
    Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by