my 3 old rooster has weak legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raed, Feb 5, 2015.

1. raed

raed New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    how are ladies and gentlemen
    I have a 3 months rooster (indian malay), looks well no diarhea, no respiratory signs and symptoms.
    no obvious disease.
    started to have weak legs, sitting on his elbows. i gave him anti fungal drugs (mycostatin), metronidazol, ciprofloxacin, paracetamol for 5 days
    then cofalysor after the previous course, after three doses of cofalysor (amino acids vitamins b1 b3 b 6 b12) improved
    but after 2 weaks started to have the ssame problem.
    I dont know what to do. is it a vitamin deficiency or other problem
    please help me

2. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

My only thought was to increase his protein. Malay's are sturdy guys and his legs may not be growing as quick as the rest of him. My boy has had issues with his feet in the past and I attributed it to his size. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

I think this is likely to be a nutritional issue, too, particularly since he seems to have improved for a while after being given the Cofalysor. That is a nutritional supplement that is basically ground up fish with a few other vitamins and minerals added. What are you feeding this bird?

Just a word of caution - I am not a fan of taking the "shotgun approach" with drugs, since sometimes you can make more problems for yourself by treating for something that wasn't even there at the start. While it sort of makes sense to use wormers when the birds aren't showing signs of parasite problems, using antibiotics on a bird that isn't showing signs of infection isn't a good idea. At best, you are wasting your money; at worst, when you actually do have a bacterial infection going on, the bacteria in your flock may already be resistant to the antibiotic that you are trying to treat them with.[​IMG]

Good luck, I hope your rooster gets better soon!

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Hi and welcome

I agree with what Taprock and Bunnylady said. I would discontinue medications, keep up the vitamins, add yogurt or buttermilk (probiotics,) and increase the protein (temporarily) and see if he improves. You can feed some tuna, cat food, boiled or scrambled eggs or a higher protein commercial feed. Just be careful not to over do it and once improvement is seen, slowly lower it back down to reasonable levels.

Good luck.

5. raed

raed New Egg

Feb 5, 2015

Thank you a lot. I'm very grateful to you. His legs are blue in color while it should be yellow. the knee joints are swollen.
    I will stop medications. start a cofalysor course again. and I will add tuna and youghrt to his diet. and i will give you a feed back about his condition. hoping a good feedback.
    again thank you

6. raed

raed New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by