my 3 week old chick eat a beetle!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lucyharper123, Dec 16, 2012.

1. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    before she had what i think resperitory diease my chick eat a beetle is this whats wrong with her? but i cant because both my chicks have got something wrong with them :( please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    not sure what the problem is or why eating would be the cause, please provide more information

3. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    well i seen it eat a beatle not so long ago and it was quite big but i dont if thats whats wrong with her now shes only 3 week old :( i think she has a resperatory disease .

4. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    Eating a beetle shouldn't be an issue, no matter what size. Insects make up a huge part of the natural diet of a chicken. What makes you think it's a respiratory disease? Can you tell us what the symptoms are, why you think your chick is sick?

5. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    RIP little chickie.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Aw, sorry.

7. Noddy Girlz

Noddy Girlz New Egg

Dec 21, 2012
    Hazen, North Dakota
    Some beetles ( rose chafers) can case a poisoning in young chicks. Usually the beetles are found in spring / early summer in central and eastern North America. Affected chicks become weak, lethargic, may develop convulsions and either die or recover in a day. Referenced from "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. Sorry to hear of your loss... I just started raising chickens this spring..so far no losses but know it will be traumatic for me...dang things are addicting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by