My 3 week old roosters are hurting each other!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SportChick, Jul 8, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have 3 week old Barred Rocks and 4 (maybe 5) are roosters. There is definitely 1 bully in the group. I watch him jump on the others pretty often. Today I came home from work and one the the other roos had a bloody beak, just under his comb? Do I need to do anything too it. He is behaving fine, and it looks superficial.

They have a big run and a lot of shade. Is there anything else I can do to keep them from beating up on each other until they are old enough to process or give away?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If there's blood showing it's best to seperate the injured chick otherwise he could be pecked to death. The other chicks will see blood and peck it relentlessly. If you can get your hands on some pine tar (sold in the equine dept. of most farm stores), you can put some on his injury and leave him in with the rest. Be sure the pine tar doesn't get in his eyes.
    Another thing you might consider is to isolate your bully for a few days. Knocks em down on the pecking order when you do that, but you run the risk of an even worse bully stepping up to take his place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by