My 3 year old roo just died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenladyinMN, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ChickenladyinMN

ChickenladyinMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Isanti, MN
    My 3 year old roo just died this morning and the only thing that we noticed was that his comb was really purple looking. He had a lot of health issues when he was younger but we seemed to have gotten past all that. He seemed very healthy and happy I just spent the day with him yesterday and he was fine. My DH left for work this morning at 8:30 and he was crowing then, at 10:30 my DD and I went to give him breakfast and there he was - just laying there. Does anyone have any ideas on what might have happened?[​IMG]

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry. He may have had heart failure/attack [​IMG]
    JJ

4. ChickenladyinMN

ChickenladyinMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Isanti, MN
    Thanks so much for your support, its nice to know that there are people out there who care about their chickens as much as I do. They are all like family in a way. Some you just seem to get attacked to more that others and this roo was mine, he was very attached to me probably because when he was sick I was the main care giver and I spoiled him, he was a replacement when my older roo passed. It has been hard because I just lost my 7 1/2 year old spoiled hen the day before mothers day.

5. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    [​IMG] so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I adore them and I understand [​IMG]
    My roo is 8 or 9 now and is a sweet selfless endearing soul. My heart will be broken when the time comes. As it has been when I've lost hens - such joyful quirky priceless beings.
    Someday I hope a critical mass of humans will know how interesting and amazing these beings are.
    Hugs,
    JJ

7. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] I have (now) 9 chicks because I just lost one a few days ago. I cried all day. Just remember he went quickly, so even if there was some pain, there wasn't much [​IMG]

8. chicknurse

chicknurse New Egg

Oct 7, 2008
    I just lost 3 chickens and I have lost another 4 in Feb of this year. My heart goes out to you. Maybe, he is chasing my girls up in Chicken Heaven and having a grand time with them [​IMG]. Sorry for your loss.

9. wayne33

wayne33 New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    Wakeman
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss.Im watching my rooster right now who is about a year old with some health related issues.I will feel just as you do if I discover the same thing.hang in their

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm so sorry to hear about your roo. [​IMG] The purple comb just means he wasn't getting oxygen to his comb, so it's hard to say what caused the death. Sometimes they just die suddenly like that and we don't know why. I've had a few go like that, where there was just no explanation I could find at all and they were previously young and healthy.

I completely understand your grief at losing your rooster! I get very attached to all of my chickens as well. They are all individuals and have such wonderful personalities, I think people who don't get attached are missing out. Chickens really do become a part of the family if you let them. I have four hens that are twelve years old and it's amazing to think that I've had them since I was ten years old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by