My 3 yr old hen acting "sick"

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I am in southern Ontario, it is late Jan we have lots of snow, and its been a pretty mild winter (temperature wise). Hovering around zero down to -5 lately. I have a large coop inside a small barn, and they can free range all day every day in the forest or orchard or near the pond, although in winter the usually stay in the barn or at most walk around the dropped hay in the barn yard. (I have 9 goats).

I started with 8 hens, 2.5 years ago. I now have 23. Most of my flock seem healthy and happy.
Two of my original hens have had a bad week.
One got her foot caught under the barn door, and although I released her immediately, she was limping a bit. Next day she looked like she was really limping so I separated her (so she could recover without rooster attention or having to worry about my goats stepping on her) I have had one chicken death in the past which I think was due to a frisky goat and a piece of plywood falling....ANYWAYS.... my limping hen (Snowflake)was put in a pen by herself, and within 3 days she was unable to even limp! She just lay there...her feet seemed to be completely unresponsive-although she was alert and eating and drinking (I needed to bring her food and water) and I thought for sure she would get better, but today she was dead.
:(
My other hen (the one im worried about) Feather Face, was looking very cold and miserable last week (standing around puffed up, head pulled in , sleeping in the day on the floor of the barn near a wall.... so I put her in with Snowflake (they are buddies). They would cuddle together over the past few days... Feather Face eats and drinks fine (although she is still puffed up and lethargic) When I pick her up- she is very light- maybe less than 2.5 or 3 lbs. I am giving her sunflower seeds and some goat grain as well as the usual layer pellets and kitchen scraps.
I cleaned out the hay (and burnt it) that Snowflake died on, and washed out the dishes I used with her. But I am worried- when Ive had injured chickens before, a couple of week in the private pen always brings them around. Snowflake's demise was so unexpected. ...... and now feather face... who is usually first to roost (she is flock leader) acting so lethargic - she hasn't roosted in 2 weeks-- ... I had another hen (an original hen) die in a similar way (puffed up and standing around for a month, losing weight).. then she just sort of started walking drunk and using her wings to balance and then fell over dead one day... not even 8 months old...never laid and egg.... Im worried Feather Face is starting down that path..... What should I do? is it possible this has laid dormant in my coop for 2 years???
I did a bunch of reading 2 years ago and it seemed like maybe MArke's disease- but then I didn't have any more hens die for 2 years!! (other than the plywood incident and one predator attack that took 4 hens 1.5 years ago.).
I am using minced garlic in their feed and apple cider vinegar in their water.
How can I tell if Feather Face is going to pull through? she is a great hen, who usually lays 3 eggs a week and goes broody at least 2 x year and raises the chicks til about week 7, until she looses interest, Great temperament and smarter than most.
What should I do?
thanks

Last edited:
I'm not sure what resources you have there for getting a necropsy done, but that would be my recommendation. Marek's is one virus that can cause the various symptoms you describe. Other virus's can also have similar symptoms sometimes (like Lymphoid Leukosis). Some strains of some virus's can be less virulent than others, so not all birds may show symptoms, or symptoms may show up in times of stress or weakened immunity. Other possibilities would include vitamin deficiencies, poisoning or exposure to toxic chemicals. You can try vitamin supplements with the bird currently showing symptoms to see if you get improvement, deficiencies can cause some weird neurological symptoms. A B complex tablet, 1/4 to 1/2 a tablet ground up and mixed in some feed and water daily, and some vitamin E (400iu) with some cooked egg, canned tuna, or sunflower seeds for selenium (helps uptake of the E). If you don't get improvement or she passes, then I would really recommend the necropsy, so you will know for sure.

Snowflake was promptly put into the outdoor wood furnace. I'm not sure if its possible to find a place here who will do a necropsy, but I will start searching. It would be good to know what is going on. I'm just glad its only a chicken every other year or so... and not an epidemic... I will use the vitamin booster I have, and continue with extra sunflower seeds and scrambled egg for her. Thanks very much for some feed back.

There are several on this forum from Canada, you might search among those to find someone with more knowledge of what's available there. Under forums there is one for "Where am I, Where are you?" that might be a good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom