My 32 week old chicken ate a BEAD. Please advise. Please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mkovach, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Mkovach

Mkovach Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Hi, I'm a new, absolutely neurotic chick mama. I got all my wonderful and smart advice from these forums so I was hoping you could help me once again!

My 32 week old hen ate a plastic bead from a wind chime that just broke. I have been quickly picking up the pieces but that just interests her more so she ran over and ate a bead that was cylindrical and about 1/4 - 1/3 inch in length. About 1/8 in. Diameter from what I could see. Will this pas through her system? I'm so worried I'm sick. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. If it was smaller I wouldn't be so worried but it was about multivitamin sized.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i don't know for sure. But i have read many accounts of chickens eating all kinds of things and they are okay. Someone's chicken ate a diamond stud earring. i have read that some things can get stuck in the gizzard, where food gets ground up. But i'm thinking your bead should not be a problem. i would be more worried about a hen eating something that had a sharp edge that could puncture something inside.

i've had chickens rip bandages off my leg and eat them, never to be seen again. i had a duck eat some sharp rocks that punctured her intestines. My vet performed surgery and got everything cleaned and stitched up, but unfortunately she didn't make it.

i certainly understand you being concerned, but i think the chances of damage are minimal. Would love to hear others with personal experience chime in.

3. Mkovach

Mkovach Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Thank you for responding so quickly and not making me feel crazy :/. Currently she's acting normally and going to bed for the night so I think I will reassess in the morning and if she's acting weird I will call the vet. Also, I'm really very sorry about your duck.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ah, thanks. You just never know what a pet is going to get into. All you can do is your best. And don't ever feel crazy for posting any concern. It's hard to know if anything is going to be a problem until you've been through it several times, and then, every situation is unique . . . so, there you go. :)

5. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    my yard is covered in BB bullets (my brothers) my chickens are constantly eating them, and it goes strait through. she'll probably be fine :)

6. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Free ranging chickens pick up some fair sized pebbles and swallow them, they are used in the crop to gind up food (chickens don't have teeth). I don'tr think the bead will bother your hen.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by