My 3rd time posting this.. NO ANSWERS! UPDATE: pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Feb 20, 2011.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Im trying to build a run for 10 boys and girls.. (CHICKIESSS of course) How big should it be? I want to be able to split it right down the middle... PLEASE HELP! Thanks [​IMG]

This is my runs state now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    I would think a split run of perhaps 8 feet wide(4ft each run) and 8 ft long. This would give you a small run but I would think enough for 5 chickens in each one....
    You could change this to make it bigger of course but at least it gives you a starting point. [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I think an 8x16 would be big enough. just try to build it big enough that they aren't crowded
    2) 8x8's

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Ok thanks! Can anyone give me like building instructions? Thanks! Uhm.. They would only have to be separated for a few weeks so how would i make the separation wall removable? And what to make it out of? And do i dig and put wire underneath? IDK!!

5. bluegoose

bluegoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    I used chicken wire to make a separation wall use zip ties to fasten the wire to make the wall and then zip tie it to the fence cut the zip ties when removeing.it would help stop anything from digging in the pen if you put the wire under the ground. some people place rocks next to the fence to stop anything from digging in. you can use boards-brick anything would help.

6. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Depending on how big the final coop is, and depending on the size of your door, you could build a panel, covered with hardware cloth, and zip tiie it in place until it is no longer needed. An 8x8 coop will give you room for 16 adult chooks.

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    My coop is 7 by 9.. my run is like 13 by 19.. My door will not be big enough if i separate it.. im kind of confused (blonde at heart? ) Could you elaborate more?

8. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Okay cool! I will do that with chicken wire and zip ties.. Now how do i build this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by