My 4 Buff Orps?!?! biiiig pictures be warned

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beeZ2010, Jun 7, 2010.

1. beeZ2010

beeZ2010 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Norwich
    here are 2 of my 4 buff orps, pleeeeeeease can you tell me what gender u think they are, im hoping all girls as that is what i bought them as, but looking at other posts im getting worried!!
    they are 6 weeks old today!! yaaaaaaaaaay

this is hetty
    [​IMG]

freya, eek and archimedes look like this
    [​IMG]

p.s. if they are all pullets, how come hetty has a smaller comb than the others??

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    the ones that have red comb and wattles are little boys... [​IMG]

3. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    LindsayB : please dont say that all with wattles are boys ... I have an orp that has wattles and i hope to god its a hen ...

This was taken a few weeks ago ..and her wattles have grown loads since

[​IMG]

beeZ2010 ..the first is deff a girl imo .... she looks identical to one of mine ..

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    that one looks like a hen. But the first ones that are 6 weeks and are already that red...It just says roo to me. Plus you can compare the second buff to the first one and see the difference. Just my opinion though. Hopefully someone with orp experience can chime in.

5. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Sorry i missed the 6 weeks week old part .. Mine is 5 months now and has fairly big wattles compared to the other i have (which has none)...You had me worried there ..

I already have one roo and couldnt think of having to get rid of her if she was a roo too ...

phewwwwww lol

I would agree with your opinion then, Even with the little knowledge i have i would say that second must be a boy and the first deffinatley a girl

6. barredrockgrl

barredrockgrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    My 13 week old Orp pullet has much thinner legs and is just starting to barely get some pink in her comb. I'm thinking that second pic is a cockerel.

7. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    My BO didn't even get wattles until she was nearing 20 weeks. Sorry. The first is a girl, the others boys.

8. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Agreed, the first is a pullet and the others are boys. BUT, they are gorgeous! Where did you get them?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  9. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hetty is a girl. But right about now I'd be changing Freya's name to Fred. [​IMG] And then contacting whoever sold you a bunch of cockerels as pullets and letting them know how bad their chick sexing skills are.

10. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Yes Heddy looks like my girld and the other looken like my "Chicken Dinner"that I had to get rid of because I was too whimpy to kill it; so I am thinking #1 girl, #2 boy

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by