My 4 day old baby chick has one eye closed

Omaruz

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
Egypt
My 4 day old baby chick has one of her eyes closed most of the time, she opens it sometimes (even though it's slightly not all open) and then closes it after a few seconds. The surrounding area around the eye looks green and is kinda swelling I think. Also, one of the other 2 chicks that live with her pecked her in her eye many times on her first day, but I don't think they peck now (not that I know of). Is it infected? Or just swollen due to the pecking? Do I get her Saline eye drops? What about getting her an antibiotic ointment? Which is the best one to use?

Thank you.

My 4 day old baby chick has one of her eyes closed most of the time, she opens it sometimes (even though it's slightly not all open) and then closes it after a few seconds. The surrounding area around the eye looks green and is kinda swelling I think. Also, one of the other 2 chicks that live with her pecked her in her eye many times on her first day, but I don't think they peck now

Can you please post some photos of the chick and her eye? (brooder too if you have them)

Green is bruising. If she were pecked in the eye many times and it's now swelling, it may be infected.
General care for the eye would be to flush with saline, remove pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. You can also use Plain Neosporin in the eye.

Saline can be purchased or you can make it yourself, there are recipes on the net.

Can you please post some photos of the chick and her eye? (brooder too if you have them)

Green is bruising. If she were pecked in the eye many times and it's now swelling, it may be infected.
General care for the eye would be to flush with saline, remove pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. You can also use Plain Neosporin in the eye.

Saline can be purchased or you can make it yourself, there are recipes on the net.
Our nearby drug store didn't have Saline eye drops so I just got the Terramycin ointment and I applied it to her eye after gently cleaning it with a warm, wet cotton swab. This was about 6 hours ago. Her eye has been open since! She closes it a little sometimes but it's almost always open! How long do I continue giving her the antibiotic? Also, can you give me a recipe for the Saline solution? Many recipes I found were contradicting each other with the amount of salt (1tsp vs 2tsp). Thank you!

Glad the eye is open more!

I would apply the ointment at least 2 times a day for 3-5 days depending on how it looks, whether there's pus and how well the swelling is going down.

Saline for the eyes recipe is 1/2 teaspoon salt per 1 cup of water. Boil for 15 minutes to make sterile.
Homemade saline solutions can be stored up to 24 hours in a sterilized jar, but for me, I would make it "fresh" each time, let cool, use what I needed then throw the rest out.

Back
Top Bottom