My 4 day old chicks Right Eye will not open

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leogakasmoke, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Leogakasmoke

Leogakasmoke Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    I have Ten 4 day old chicks that the mother hen hatched recently. There is one baby chick that the right eye is not opening. Last night i used water and a q tip and got the eye open, and it seemed from watching the chick that it could see out of the eye. This morning the eye is closed again, i wiped it and opened it a little but it seemed as if it was hurting the baby, I put the eye under the faucet with a real light stream of water just to rinse it, and wiped it some more, but it seems the chick will still not open it's eye. Any suggestions? I figure i can either wipe it more and force it open, which seems to hurt the chick a little, or just let it be. Please let me know what you think. I will try to take a picture, the eyelid seems pretty clean to me, none of the others chicks have this problem, I can live with it, but if I can do something to help i would like to.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    My chicken only has one eye as she had the same problem and she is absolutely fine she can only see out of it a little bit but does not affect her in any way hope this helps

3. Leogakasmoke

Leogakasmoke Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    did you mess with the eye at all or just let it be?

4. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Emm well i left it for the first few weeks and then it started to grow a scab over it so i got some salt water and wipped the scab and it slipped off which may sound painfull but it worked and did the job

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by