1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 4-H Poultry Leader Said....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Heidi, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    This is my sons 1st year in 4-H and he will be showing a chicken (black orp cockeral). Anyways during the meeting tonight our county poultry leader said prior to fair to "shake and bake" our chickens w/ Sevin. I asked him to clarify and he said to put Sevin in a feed sack and place the whole chicken inside, close it, and shake. I told him I had read (here on byc many times) not to get Sevin into the lungs. He said that your suppose to get it inside of the chicken otherwise you can't kill the lice inside. So what are all of your thoughts on this?

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Full of chicken splort...

Lice are EXTERNAL parasites, not internal...what a boob.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I agree with SpottedCrow. Lice are an external parasite only.

Do not do that. You will kill your bird, Sevin is poison and can be used externally, very carefully, but you don't want to stuff them in a bag where they breathe it in.
    I wouldn't even put a chicken in a bag with DE and do that.
    Always dust in a well ventilated area for your sake and the birds.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I cannot believe he said that! They should never breathe that stuff. Geez. Lice are EXternal not INternal. Does he work at a feedstore, by chance, LOL?

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I honestly couldn't believe he said that - he's even the COUNTY leader. Our club currently is without a leader and I've been considering it. Tonight I felt like I knew more then he did by just reading everything that's been posted here at byc.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Good way to kill a chicken. 4-H should know better.

7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    If I were you, get to the other folks in this group before they do it to their birds and tell them to get Food grade DE ( Perma-Guard ) This is what you need for them. They will roll in a pan of it on their own, no need to shake them in a bag! You can also add a small amount to the feed.

Good luck!

Steph

8. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Sounds to me like you better be going to a different club. I would also bring this up to who ever is in charge over the leader. Here they have the kids go through a meat quality assurance class before they are able to show. And at these meeting they have a person from the FDA explaining what guidlines are for human consumption. And they do not want they aniamls Ingesting anything that could be potintially harmful, or crrry through to the person who is eating it. I dont know if your son is going to be in market or breeding poultry, but the same guidlines run for both no chemicals near the bird of at least a month or two I think I will have to look it up and get back to you with specifics if you need.

9. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I would hope that everyone looks at their chickens and treats them for lice long before show time. If not, they need to be educated or lose chickens. Lice are easy to control.

Best is nicotine in house, smells like an all night poker party but no insects.....

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Much easier to prevent the problem in the first place and not have to worry about treating just before showing. Or does that make too much sense?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by