My 4 hens aren't laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 31jordi27, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 31jordi27

31jordi27 New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Hi guys,
    I have four beautiful hens and they have been doing so well they are nearly all a year old, I live in Australia and the weather has been a bit rainy but sunny and hot..

I haven't changed anything, please help

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That is a good thread from Flockwatcher. I'll add a bit.

How long have they not been laying? One day, a week, a month? Was it all of a sudden or a gradual thing

My first thought when they "stop" like this is that they are hiding a nest from you. It would be a bit unusual for all four to do this at the same time, but it's something to consider.

Me second thought is that something is getting them. Some things normally leave traces behind but many things don’t. Most things would just come one time and eat the eggs that are there, but some things, say a family dog that’s learned the egg song is an invitation to dinner, may return several times.

It’s possible they have really quit. I know you said you haven’t changed anything but maybe the weather is brutally hot or something you are not aware of stressed them. Normally things like that would not stop all of them but you only have four hens. That’s not really enough for averages and such to mean much.

It’s impossible for anyone not there to have a real clue as to what is going on. Sometimes when we are watching we’re not sure or get it wrong.

One thing you might try is to put an egg out there with a tiny mark on it and see if it disappears. That way you would have a much better idea if the eggs are disappearing or they truly have stopped laying.

Another thing you might try of you are set up for it. Lock them in the coop or coop and run to see if any eggs show up. That might be that they are hiding a nest or maybe you are locking something out that normally eats them, but you’d maybe have better clues.

Good luck with this. It’s not always an easy one to solve.

3. CRAZCHICKENLADY

CRAZCHICKENLADY Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    have you tryied kepping them dry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by