My 4 hens didn't lay any eggs yesterday...should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janetethridge, Aug 6, 2014.

1. janetethridge

janetethridge New Egg

Jun 27, 2014
    I usually get at least 1 egg (usually only 1 time per week will get only 1) and as much as 3-4 a few times per week, but yesterday, nothing - it was the first time. And, the weather was bad - raining and a lot cooler. Could it be just the weather?

Background - In May, I bought 4 hens from my dad who stopped caring for chickens. They are about 2 years old, he said. 1 is a beautiful Rhode Island Red (Ginger), and 3 are Buff Orpingtons (Nellie, Dollie and Bessie). The Buffs got pecked a lot at my dad's house from his other hens. And, they have missing feathers that won't grow back. They have been laying since day one - ranging from 3-4 eggs the most, and occasionally 1-2 - but at least 1-2 every day. Also looks like Ginger is starting to molt around the neck and bottom. I checked their coop and pen, and saw no signs of mites or anything like that.

I give them fresh water and high protein food every day mixed with oyster shell - as well as a little scratch and grit - and, I give them mealy worms for treats every evening - and occasionally scraps.

Also, I do clean out their coop and spray with a protector and use diatomaceous earth.

I am hoping it was just the weather that stopped their egg production. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. brandirjones

brandirjones Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Gloster, Ms
    Im wondering if my loss of egg production isnt from feeding TOO MANY treats? Maybe cause it is hot as heck here right now

3. janetethridge

janetethridge New Egg

Jun 27, 2014
    maybe it's just a fluke - if i get an egg today, i won't worry :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by