my 4 month hens are laying but older girls arent

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the510flock, Dec 30, 2013.

1. the510flock

the510flock Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Richmond, Ca
    Greetings fellow chicken folk! In september of this year I bought 16 hatchlings,a cross breed of black langshan and iowa blue with birchen pattern. Of those 16 i kept the only 3 hens and my favorite rooster and theyve been doing very well,the girls just started laying last week!! Now heres where the problem arises:yesterday i adopted 4 older hens around 1 or 2 yrs i presume, a barred rock, arauncana, rhode island red, and a white leghorn. Apparently the previous owner says theyre not laying because its too cold rite now and that theyll start in the spring which doesnt make any sense since my little ones are laying regularly.
    What could be the issue???
    The leghorn seems to be molting but the others are active hardy and healthy. Could it be stress from moving the hens? (This is their 2nd rehoming this month)

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns!

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Rehoming will almost always cause them to stop laying for a week or more. Two rehoming in a month is very stressful. Also lighting more than cold is what effects laying so that could be a factor. My guess is they just need time to settle in.

3. the510flock

Dec 29, 2013
    Richmond, Ca
    Yea im thinking its the stress from the moves,theyre also still getting used to my hens and rooster who wants nothing more but to dominate them all and plant his seed lol. Thanks for commenting!

4. the510flock

Dec 29, 2013
    Richmond, Ca

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First year layers lay thru winter, older hens stop because of molting and lack of light...they'll start back up when they days lengthen and/or when they're done molting.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by