My 4 month old Chicks Look like they're 3 Weeks Old

-Alt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The North
I'll start by saying I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place...

I bought six Black Wyandotte Bantams back in August, and I think they were about 1-2 weeks old when I got them. It is now about 4 months later, and they have hardly grown at all! I estimate they are 4 months old and I'm just surprised at how small they still are. I've never had Bantams before, so maybe this is a normal size for them, and I was just wondering if I am worrying for nothing.

However, I am fearful that a second batch of chicks I bought may have brought a respiratory disease with them, as I've have four chickens die since they arrived, one of which absolutely broke my heart... The chicks have been sneezing and on-and-off watery eyes and lack of appetite.

Does anyone think there this is an abnormal growth rate for these little guys?

(I'll get some better pictures)

Thanks,
Alt

I'll start by saying I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place...

I bought six Black Wyandotte Bantams back in August, and I think they were about 1-2 weeks old when I got them. It is now about 4 months later, and they have hardly grown at all! I estimate they are 4 months old and I'm just surprised at how small they still are. I've never had Bantams before, so maybe this is a normal size for them, and I was just wondering if I am worrying for nothing.

However, I am fearful that a second batch of chicks I bought may have brought a respiratory disease with them, as I've have four chickens die since they arrived, one of which absolutely broke my heart... The chicks have been sneezing and on-and-off watery eyes and lack of appetite.

Does anyone think there this is an abnormal growth rate for these little guys?

(I'll get some better pictures)

Thanks,
Alt

separate the chicks which are sick from your older chics right away. Get this letter over to the sickness thread where folks are waiting to help.
Best Success,
Karen

I've separated them now. After realising they probably had something, I didn't think there was any point separating them because they have been with the rest of the flock for the past three + months. I had read respiratory diseases were highly contagious, so I didn't sooner...

Thank you, I appreciate your concern,
Alt

They look pretty normal for bantams to me. A full grown/mature Wyandotte hen is only about 2lbs, the cocks just a few ounces larger. That's a pretty small bird.

That said, a lot of the respiratory diseases can be chronic issues in a flock. While not causing symptoms, one of the issues can be slow growth rates. If it's been three months, your Wyandottes may well have some stunting from the illness, even if they didn't appear "ill". I'm not sure if treating with antibiotics would have any effect on growth rates at this point.......could be something to ask the folks in the Emergencies and Diseases section, they're more up on that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Really? I didn't realize they were quite that small. I thought maybe the possible respiratory disease was stunting them considerably. Thank you for the input!

One of my mature bantam Cochin hens on a feeder she was determined to use as a brooding spot. She was pretty unhappy when I blocked it off. I think that's a six inch flowerpot lid, so that gives you an idea how tiny she is. She fluffs way, way out and can just cover 6 full size chicken eggs.

That's hilarious. XD I misread what breed I was buying, so I knew/know nothing about them. They must have pretty small eggs as well, then.
They're certainly cute!

Bantams actually give a decent bang for the buck. Considering they're about 1/5 the size of a large hen, the eggs are about half as big. So, really, they're more efficient. But, most of them don't lay near as well as a large production bred bird. And they tend to go broody a lot--- a bonus, IMO, but not for everyone.

One of my mature bantam Cochin hens on a feeder she was determined to use as a brooding spot. She was pretty unhappy when I blocked it off. I think that's a six inch flowerpot lid, so that gives you an idea how tiny she is. She fluffs way, way out and can just cover 6 full size chicken eggs.
that one looks like a normal bantam to me :)

That's cool! I didn't get them for their laying habits, but I do sell eggs, so that's a bonus. I hope they make it that far in life... They haven't gotten any worse, but for sneezing. I'm not even sure if that's a symptom.

Back
Top Bottom