My 4 week old chicks aren't moving around much and are laying on their sides!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mickle75, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Mickle75

Mickle75 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    About 4 weeks ago, I purchased 4 Australorp pullets and 3 Production Red pullets from my local feed store. I noticed that one of my PR pullets was acting lethargic about 4 -5 days ago so I separated her into her own brooder. The next day, another PR and an Australorp was acting the same way. So, I have these 3 chick in a broodr alone and they no longer get up and walk around. Most of the time, they are laying on their sides. They hobble to the water and feed, but then hobble back under the light. I've put Pedialyte in their waterer being concerned that they may need some electrolytes. I have also been getting them out to see if they will walk. At first, they lay over, but after I mess with them for a few minutes they will start to stand and sometimes take a few steps. But, for the most part, they are spending their days laying on their sides.

After getting online and researching a bit, I'm still just as confused as when I started. I feel like Marek's is the culprit, but I'm not sure. What does this sound like to y'all?

2. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    doesn't sound good to me, could be mareks or MG, don't get upset if they don't make it. Ask the feed store who they ordered from and tell them what happened, they might help you out...sorry to hear...if they are laying on sides and panting then they are too warm...

3. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    No idea, but I'm really sorry. It doesn't sound too good.

4. Mickle75

Mickle75 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    They aren't panting at all. I called the feed store and asked if they had been vaccinated for Marek's and they said they had been. I know which hatchery they got them from, but I'm not sure where to go from here, if anywhere. The chicks don't seem to be in pain or even "feel" bad...just lay around...I've been online looking at what could possibly be causing the "paralysis" and/or homeopathic treatments for similar ailments...I hope I can figure something out...

I've raised chicks many times before, but have never come across this kind of thing...I hope it all works out.

5. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    Treat them for coccidia. Put Corid in their water. You should see improvement within 24 hours if Coccidia is the culprit.

1 person likes this.
  6. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    I know mareks will paralyze so this could be the issue, if you can get a medical opinion from a vet that should ease your worries...

7. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    Marek's takes at least 6 weeks to cause signs of illness after they have been exposed to it. Four week old chicks would not be showing signs of marek's yet.

8. RRrrRR

RRrrRR New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    Once a bird shows symptoms.. We use water solouble antibiotics. Put 30cc in a pet syringe with no needle and hold their mouth open and shoot it in a little at a time. It may or may not help.

9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Check the brooder temperature at floor level of the brooder in different areas. Make sure there are no cold drafts around them. Water and food should be refreshed daily. Know that Coccidiosis can affect chicks at two to three weeks. Best to use a fresh, good quality starter formula, and use regiments of Corid in water every 3 weeks, 5 days at a time. Here's a little info on Coccidiosis:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...anagement/41/life-cycle-and-types-of-coccidia

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control/

10. House of chic

House of chic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Did your chicks ever get better? I am having the same issue with one of my 5 week old chicks and I had one several weeks ago at 2 weeks old have this problem. She just walks a few steps and then lays over on her side. Spends most of the time in this position. The other thing I noticed with both is that they seemed to be behind in growth and development. When the first one had it I treated them all with corrid and it didn't help at all. The first one passed but I think it is because she aspirated fluids I was trying to give her with a dropper. I'm concerned and wondering if I should separate her from the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by