My 4 week old Delaware rarely sleeps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mama Hen Chris, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I added a 4 week old Delaware on 8/23 to my established 3 & 4 week old chicks I got on 8/8. She peeps (cries) constantly and never sleeps or naps like the the others. She also has been in and out of "solitary" due to her pecking the other 4. I decided to try and put her in the brooder at night to sleep with the girls and eventually
    (about an hour of crying) she will go to sleep. She does not "nap" during the day like the others as well. I think she has A.D.D. I tried wrapping her and holding her...she will fall asleep for about 30 seconds!!

She eats well and potties well. Eyes are clear and no sneezing. Told hubby she needs a shot of whiskey or something. Any suggestions to help her to sleep? I feel bad for her. What's a Mama Hen to do??

Bridget-Delaware
    [​IMG]
    Apolonia-Black Australorp
    [​IMG]
    Sophie-Black Australorp
    [​IMG]
    Josephine-Speckled Sussex
    [​IMG]
    Hazel-Speckled Sussex
    [​IMG]

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    your birds are beautiful, maybe she's sleeping when your not around im asuming you arnt watching 24/7

3. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Amazing birds, BTW.
    Anyways, I would consider you lucky. Do you know what I would do for an "ADD" bird? A bird and a human that never sleep- perfect match.

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

how come one of your speckled sussex has willow legs, and one has pinkish legs?

5. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Violet- True, Bridget eventually sleeps through the night but not during the day. They are still in the house so I can check on them. The other 4 nap on and off during the day but Bridget is always in motion!

Neo- Thank you. Maybe she needs Ritalin. Reminds me of my son when he was 2. He was the energizer bunny, always on the go.

Chicken-I have also wondered about that myself. I did a search on here and Googled about leg colors and came up with nothing. Could she be unique with the willow legs or a different type of chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by