My 4' x 4' pallet coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Aug 1, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    So far this is what I have, if I'm done and I'm pleased with it I might just need to make one for my bunny [​IMG]

I started by gathering up some pallet scraps that the local yard leaves out for free
    [​IMG]

Then I layered them to make the base
    [​IMG]

Attached two boards on the side
    [​IMG]

Here is what I have done so far the base and one side, I have to go back and get more boards to finish the other two sides.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will be making the back to hinge down for easy cleaning and attaching a run. So far everything I have used we've gotten for free including the chicken wire. [​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Looks great. Although, you might want to use hardware cloth vs chicken wire. Chicken wire can easily be torn down by just about any predator.[​IMG] Good luck finishing the coop.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Hmmm, I'll look into that, I use chicken wire for my rabbit run and she lives out there 9 months out of the year. I have enough to double of if need be and also have this plastic covered wire (it's 2 inch by 2 inch squres used for insides of fences) I could also put that on the outside.

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Awesome reuse of material! [​IMG]

Quote:x2

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Cool. I'm attempting my own pallet coop as soon as DH gets one more from his workplace. We have the big kind, 51 inches x 100 inches, but I'm going to cut them in half. Looking forward to updates on yours [​IMG]

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Wow that is a big pallet! I wish I had yard for that, imagine all the girls you can store in it. [​IMG]

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I was able to go pick up more wood so I could finish another wall and part of the front wall. I assure you it looks better in person than it does in the pics.

My Helper [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what I have so far. Hoping to finish tomorrow or wednesday
    [​IMG]

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Nice start and what a cutie of a helper.

9. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    I am working on pallet coops too. Can't wait to see yours finished. [​IMG]

10. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Cool Beans! Great re-use of stuff that would normally be thrown away! Love it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by