My 4 y/o stopped laying

Pangy

Chirping
Apr 18, 2015
I have a 5 year old red rock that stopped laying about 3 months ago. All of her sisters still lay regular.So also always has a dirty butt all the time...its not pasty butt..we clean her at least twice a week , so has no problem pooping...just no eggs..is she just to old now and isnt going to lay anymore

If I am right these are hybrids
So they usually slow down laying at 2 years
And stop around 5 years.
Or is she moulting?
If she is that could be it
Hope this helps

No she's not moulting....she hasnt moulted in a very long time....the rest of the flock are still laying...guess she's done laying...but she's still my girl and she has a place in my heart so i'll just have her aling with my 6 year old brahma that also doesn't lay as friends for the rest if the flock...thanks for the info

If the stuff on her butt smells, it could be vent gleet. You can search for that on here and see if it sounds the same. You'll also find info on how to treat it.

If the stuff on her butt has a yellow tint and looks like egg yolk, you might want to research egg yolk peritonitis. I lost a black sex link girl to it earlier this year she was about 3 1/2 years old. My first 4 hens were sex links and it seems to me that they have a predisposition to have reproduction problems, a shorter egg laying span, and a shorter life span than the heritage breeds. The first two years they lay like crazy but they decline quickly after that, at least mine did. Of the first 4 that I got not quite 4 years ago, I only have 1 left and she was never a good layer, hasn't laid an egg in over a year. That's probably the only reason she's still with us.

The stuff on her butt is black like tar...it does smell when we wet it to clean her but otherwise it really doesnt smell..its def not yellow..l think she just isnt going to lay any longer..l will check out vent gleet just to be sure..thanks for the info

I will tomorrow..just really curious what it is...otherwise she is healthy..eats drinks scratches sun bathes regular chicken behavior,they all get layer feed and ostershell and are free range.she is the only one that had thisblack butt,and she hasnt layed in a very long time

Back
Top Bottom