My 4 Year Old Now Has Her Own Little Flock!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigredfeather, Dec 22, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    My daughter recently celebrated her 4th birthday. She received some monetary gifts from her grandparents and others. Instead of allowing her to go blow it at Wal-Mart on some toy she would only play with for a short time and lose interest, we wanted her to spend it on something worthwhile. Since the day we got our first chickens a little over a year ago, she has loved working and spending time with our chickens. She has always been very found of the Buff Orps.

Here she is spending time with the BOs we already had this Summer in the chick "play pen."
    [​IMG][/img]

I was browsing Craigslist and came across an post for 35 BO's, already laying, and they only wanted $6 each. As soon as I saw it, I thought of my DD. I asked my wife what she thought about our DD buying her own little flock. We would tell her they would be her responsiblity, but if she needed any help, we would be there for her. We brought it up to DD, and she was so excited. She went with me to pick them up and bring them home. I had 5 BOs prior to buying these, so I told her that she could have all of them. It has been a little over two weeks, and so far she's doing great. She gets dressed in her barn clothes when I get home from work, and excitedly goes out to the coop to feed, collect eggs, and help with watering her little flock. We let her choose what she wants to do with her eggs. At first she said she was going to eat all of them, but now she says she wants to sell them as hatching eggs on eBay. LOL Glad to see she has an entrepenor(sp) philosophy already.

We'll see how long she stays interested. If I had to guess, I would say she will forever be a keeper of chickens. She has already asked if she can do some "meaties" this Summer.

Thought I would share.

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

What a wonderful Mom and Dad, lucky girl!

3. Stumper

Stumper Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    Fayetteville Arkansas
    Those are some great memories you made, and continue to make for you and your daughter![​IMG]

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Awww! And my goodness, she's such a mature 4yo! I hope she keeps that attitude throughout life.

On my... second, I believe, Easter I got two ducks and a rabbit. I was so proud to eat my own duck eggs [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think that's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by