1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 5 Barred Rock won't come out of it Coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coltcogburn00, Jan 3, 2014.

1. coltcogburn00

coltcogburn00 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Hi BACKYARD CHICKENS LOVERS. My 5 Barred Rock wont come out of the coop. I just got them last night at 6:00 pm. 1 of them is just staying in the nesting box. 50 degrees and 26 mph wind. What causing them to stay in the coop and the one in the nesting box?

2. ncymst

ncymst Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Ohio
    I don't think they like the wind

3. chickensgawk

chickensgawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    Chickens don't like wind. And for the nest box she might be broody. And watch out for that broody hen. What I would do is if I had a spot where you could put her away from the others do it. She will eventually stop wanting to be a mom

4. coltcogburn00

Oct 20, 2013
    they been in there with no food and water for almost 24hr. Should i pull them out or let them be

5. chickensgawk

chickensgawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    Pull out

6. coltcogburn00

Oct 20, 2013
    The wind finally died down but most to get up agin after lunch

7. coltcogburn00

Oct 20, 2013
    I have a Trick. But a tarp on the side of the run

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You just got the birds, they' don't yet know where it's safe to go. It takes some birds a few weeks to feel comfortable enough to fully explore their surroundings. Birds are prey and very aware they're dinner for lots of things, so they tend to stay somewhere safe. I wouldn't read too much into the bird in the nest box yet, my new layers hang out in the nest box all the time. I tend more toward the "let them figure it out" school of thought, but if you're seriously concerned about food or water, take them out of the coop. My bet is, unless you've watched them continuously, they've been out at least to drink. They're just fast and sneaky sometimes!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...tarps ziptied onto the run make nice windbreaks. Just try to get the tarp stretched as tight as possible, because the flapping in the wind will scare the birds. Chickens don't like stronger winds. But mostly your birds are reacting that way because they're scared - this is all new to them. Give them time...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  10. coltcogburn00

Oct 20, 2013
    the guy before I have them haven't been feeding layer ration or layer feed. I've been about a week, How long till they start laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by