1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 5 month old Leghorn hen is crowing like a rooster!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunny647, Feb 19, 2014.

1. sunny647

sunny647 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Arnold, Maryland
    Berta is a hen. She lays 2 eggs a day or one double yoke egg per day. She started crowing like a rooster about 3 weeks ago. She is in a coop with 2 Peking ducks since they were all babies. She even humps the ducks!!!! Do you think if I breed her, she will stop crowing?? I do not have a rooster , but I do have a family member that has one at their house. I do plan to get 3 more chickens this spring.... maybe she needs more "chicken" friends?? It is driving my neighbor crazy... she has a 5-5:30 morning alarm!!! I'm not suppose to have roosters, so I'm afraid to offend my neighbors.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. chicken farmer8

chicken farmer8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2014
    there is a chance that your hen has had a sex change it is very rare but your chicken is still laying so im not for sure that this is the problem

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    That's a cockerel. Those hackle and saddle feathers say it all. The eggs are from your ducks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Is s/he the only chicken that you have? If not, then the egg you are getting likely is coming from one of them.

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Maybe its your ducks laying the eggs cause that sure looks like a rooster to me [​IMG]

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That is 100%, without a doubt, a rooster. He's very handsome.

1 person likes this.
  7. sunny647

sunny647 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Arnold, Maryland
    I have checked her legs for spurs........ there are none.

8. sunny647

sunny647 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Arnold, Maryland
    She is the only chicken. I have her and the 2 ducks.

9. Serenity Sav

Serenity Sav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Bonny Doon, California
    Many Roos never get spurs. None of mine have any.

10. sunny647

sunny647 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Arnold, Maryland
    Really.......... a Rooster???? Duck eggs are much Larger than chicken eggs......... and the ducks have not started to lay yet, they are only 5 months old. I read that the ducks will not start laying until spring........and it is far from spring here in Md. I guess I should take Berta to the vet to make sure..... May need to call him Roberta.... Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by