My 5 Six Day old White Leghorns already feathering out so cute

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Jul 22, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    They are getting feathers on the tips of their wings already and one has a pronouced tail! So I've read all the postings I could to see if anyone could determine the sex of White Leghorns early on but I guess I may have to wait until their combs and wattles? grow out. They are adorable at this stage I hope I still love them when they're big and uglier. I'm thinking the one with the early tail feathers is going to be a rooster b/c it's bigger then the others. It's only been almost a week and they've grown so much - I better get that coop finished soon.
    [​IMG]

Here they are enjoying a plate of medicated chick feed and yogurt.
    [​IMG]

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Oh, they are adorable! I have leghorns that are 4 days old and just starting to get their little wings. I also have a leghorn who is laying and I love her! [​IMG] She is just a sweetheart, so I know that you will still enjoy yours when they are older. [​IMG] And the eggs!!!! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing.

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Congrats!! Sooo exciting! Just dont be fooled, I had a chick that I knew for certain was a rooster all of a sudden she turned into a hen. Believe it or not them smallest of my chicks turned out to be a rooster! It could be a rooster though you really cant ever bee 100% sure. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Great - guess I'll just have to wait until they start laying LOL! I've done some more reading and it looks like Leghorn pullets get tail feathers before the roos - so now the ones with tail feathers early will most likely be hens. I just hope I don't get all roosters or all hens - I would like a mix.

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    N&MSchroeder :

Oh, they are adorable! I have leghorns that are 4 days old and just starting to get their little wings. I also have a leghorn who is laying and I love her! [​IMG] She is just a sweetheart, so I know that you will still enjoy yours when they are older. [​IMG] And the eggs!!!! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing.

Did you hatch your older Leghorn? They are so cool to watch grow. I noticed the tail feathers are showing on a couple of them. So those are definitely going to be hens.​

6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    No we picked her up at the local feed store as a chick. Lucy is one of our favorites. [​IMG]

7. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Cute photos! Yep, they grow fast...get that coop!

8. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Oh.. you'll love 'em.... it's just a different kinf of beautiful!
    [​IMG]

9. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't think they get ugly. Before I had my own I used to look at pictures of people's adolescent birds and think they were really ugly and it was a good idea to get them as chicks so I would have bonded to them when they were cute. I don't remember mine ever being ugly though. At least I never thought they were. I guess it is a bit like babies. There are some ugly babies born but their parents never see that.

10. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    Congratulations! I love my WLH! Mine are 12 weeks now and had two I suspected could be a roo but are definately pullets. They are super sweet and full of personality. They are very athletic which is an advantageous trait when it comes to predators. But above all, no breed runs a close second when it comes to egg production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by