My 5 week old chick /Fine 1 min...DEAD the next

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1234duck, Oct 1, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Very strange... My 3 chicks were fenced on the front yard(free ranging & having a nice day) I had just been talking to them & they were fine. My mom noticed that the 1 chick just all of a sudden started flopping around on the ground a couple times. She picked it up, we started talking to it and massaging it gently but it was hopeless the lifeless chick was not moving or breathing. 1 minute the chick was fine and the next minute it was dead. I had fed them some grated(very small/thin) zuchinie shortly before this happened. Do you think maybe it had choked on it? I didnt notice any thing. [​IMG] }}}Is there a list some where, of things to feed to baby chicks for treats? Thanks ~Julie~

2. mhhousley

mhhousley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    LaFollette, TN
    Sorry to hear about your chick... I don't have anything to offer other than my sympathy [​IMG]

3. mhhousley

mhhousley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    LaFollette, TN
    Just one more thought... is it possible it could have been stung by a bee or wasp... or perhaps even bitten by a small venomous snake? I got bit by a baby copperhead on my thumb 3 years ago and I never saw it until afterwards. It was small but potent!

4. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Is your lawn treated with any chemicals or pesticides? Any of your immediate neighbors have treated lawns? If a small chick were to ingest some chemicals (or a bug that has the chemicals on it) it could result in those seizures and be fatal to a small chick. I am so sorry for your loss! Hopefully we can help you figure out what happened. [​IMG]

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:x2. With such a sudden onset, I would suspect some kind of allergic or toxic agent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by