My 5 week old chicks what to do?

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I have noticed for the past week my hen has been acting aggervated by her chicks. Moving away from them and pecking at them and always trying to find ways out of her cage. The chicks are 5 week old silkies are big and healthy so I decided to remove my hen from her 6 5 week old chicks and place her back with her rooster. My question is will the chicks be okay? will they be able to make it though the winter this young? without a heating lamp because I am unable to run heating lamps to them?

Wanted to add ill be giving 3 of the chicks to my aunt so they will only be 3 left.

Last edited:
I thought hens usually abandoned their chicks at about one month (4 weeks). They will need some heat for a while yet. Hot water bottles?
I had an old ceramic foot warmer that was for carriage passengers or old Model T Fords ( before A/C and Heat). My niece was born in January and my sister's house was kinda cold at night. We used the old foot warmer wrapped in towels to place near the infant during the night to make sure she didn't get too cold. She is now a music teacher at a college!

Quote:
Well I hope they will be ok for tonight then. Its not too cold yet and where they are is wall draft free. I was wondering the 3 i was going to keep is there anyway I could add them with their momma and the rooster. Now that they are in a bigger cage? The rooster has been around chicks before and never tried to hurt them this time i decided to move him because last time he stepped on one of the 2 day old chicks and broke the chicks foot.

also wanted to add its 66 degrees out tonight will they be ok without momma?

Last edited:
That's a little on the cool side, but if the area they are in is draft free, they will probably just snuggle up together and be fine (heck, they're silkies, even if it were 85 degrees, they would probably snuggle in a heap for the night anyway!) if you can add a low-wattage light bulb for a bit of extra heat, that would be even better.

Back
Top Bottom