My $50 Chicken coop thus far..pictures!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Isisranch, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Isisranch

Isisranch Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Strasburg, Colorado
    I am trying to build my first chicken coop on the cheap. I finally got somewhere on it over the last 3 days. I still have to put the door on, some hinges and finish the run (ok, start the run). What do you think thus far? I used 4 sheets of plywood, left over 2x4's from building my barn and left over paint from my garden shed.

Big barn, little chicken house
    [​IMG]

The little chicken house itself, suggestions needed on if I am on the right track or not?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is where I am planning on putting it. Between the cow pen and the barn, I can't figure out the best way to make the run safe from creatures. I was considering PVC piping? Any advice? I was thinking of putting the house on cinder blocks but I am afraid of snakes getting under it. Phobia of mine! Thanks all
    [​IMG]

2. Coop-a-kick

Coop-a-kick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    The first picture and the caption made me laugh. [​IMG]

Love the roofing... I haven't seen anyone else use that yet! I think it looks great and I'm impressed that you used what you had on hand.

3. Isisranch

May 27, 2008
    Strasburg, Colorado
    After I took that picture of big barn little box, I couldn't figure out if I had a really big barn or just a really little chicken house! What can I say?[​IMG]

4. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    yes me too, I thought the BIG building was built with just $50. The actual coop is gorgeous. Good job. [​IMG]

5. Coop-a-kick

Coop-a-kick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    You could call it your Quadruple B yard: Big Barn, Bitty Box! [​IMG]

(It looks like a BIG barn to me!)

6. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    That coop is so cute. It looks just the right size for a few hens. I love it when people use what they already have. I know you feel really good having accomplished your task!![​IMG]

7. Isisranch

May 27, 2008
    Strasburg, Colorado
    Quote:I am sooo tired! I can't believe how hard it was to build a 4x4 box. DH refused to help me since he says if I want chickens it's my deal...LOL.

I am planning on having 4 chickens I think, haven't found them yet but figured they needed a house first! Thanks for the compliments, it does feel good to recycle rather than buy, not just money but waste.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Why does it have a Mercedes symbol? [​IMG]

9. Isisranch

May 27, 2008
    Strasburg, Colorado
    Quote:A message to the coyotes, don't eat the chickens, we all live in peace!

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cute coop-how many chickens do you plan to have?

edited to add:
    But it is missing a part to be a peace sign [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by