My 50lb dog feeder for chickens

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
Got tired of filling the feeder every other day. My grandpa had one of these for his dogs back in the day, and it's broken now so I had to buy my own.

$39 at the farm store holds 50# of dog food or around 60# of layer pellets

I used hardware cloth to prop open the feed door a bit since it's designed with magnets to stay closed for large dogs to push it open. The chickens might learn to do it, but it seemed awkward for them.

First work on it
218168_729596416321_55007926_36314774_3317615_n.jpg

Cut out holes for the chickens to access the feed
222668_732539588181_55007926_36359444_1038938_n.jpg

In use
227408_730078989241_55007926_36321861_6240118_n.jpg

The feed is deep enough in the pan that they don't seem to spill much at all. Several of them are sleeping on top of it, which gets the top dirty but not much is falling into the feed. I may design something to keep them from roosting on it. I'm VERY happy with it!!!!!

Great idea. I have 2 plastic ones sitting in my shed I apparently need to go clean up and put to use. I thought about using them, but wasn't sure on the how to keep it open part.

I've got a plastic dog feeder the dogs didn't like (chewed the top off). I used a can to prop the 'door' open - and a piece of siding on top. Works great - only disadvantage I found was only a few would eat at once - when I had 30 in the pen I wasn't sure all were eating enough. Put a second feeder in the pen to make sure - and they weren't. For a few birds (under a dozen) it was awesome...but for more I found I needed multiple feeders.

Quote:
I have 15 birds in the pen right now, but 4 are teenage roos that are due for processing next month.
The 11lb hanging feeders that I've been using work ok for smaller numbers of birds and I do have 3 of them that I use in my other pens that have less birds, but even hanging them they still spill feed. I always had to let the feeder empty and make them clean up the ground. With this I'm pretty impressed, I've hardly seen a pellet on the ground at all!!

My feed consumption doubled with a second feeder - confirming that not all were getting enough time at the 'buffet' in a larger group. I like the 24/7 feed and yes it's much less waste/spilling!

I would go broke if I had to feed that way......Mine don't waste it at all!!! BUT I let them range a little, they get fresh cust veggies daily from the garden, it saves sooooo much money to feed from the garden ...... plus they get the house scraps now that the pigs are gone. I am tellin ya feed lasts a much longer time that way, the birds are healthy, and they hv a large variety in their diet. Sunflowers are amazing ....... they grow even through no rain, the birds love them, and they provide hours of human amusement asthe chickens peck the seeds out of the heads !!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
huh? They aren't wasting hardly a pellet this way. I've only bought one bag of feed since making this thread! It's just all in the back/top of the feeder instead of in a metal trash can that I have to scoop out every day to fill the small feeder with.
I bring them food scraps almost every day, from myself, my family and my work. The more free food I bring, obviously the less feed I have to buy. I fed even LESS when free ranging, but that's not an option anymore at this time.

Back
Top Bottom