My 55 new chicks arrived today! ALL DEAD

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by greenesacres, Feb 20, 2009.

1. greenesacres

greenesacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Kentucky
    I placed an order with Ideal Hatchery for 55 chicks. They were shipped Monday and didn't arrive by Wednesday. I called and Ideal personnel told me to wait another day. They said they could live up to 3 days. No way to track the order so who knows where they were. Anyway, the arrived today and the post office called and wanted to know if I wanted to pick them up or send them back because they were all dead.

I called Ideal they offered to reship in a couple of weeks. I declined and think I will have to mend over this before trying again. Comments??

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for you and your chicks [​IMG] [​IMG] It has been a rough week for many many people here...lots of bad shipments and dead chicks. Monday was a PO holiday and it really screwed up the shipping times.

Where do you live? What is the weather like? I ordered from Ideal with no problem 4 weeks ago, but I live in Texas so my order was here the very next morning. Is there a hatchery closer to you?

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    NO! NO! I'm SO SORRY!

Are you far from TX? I ordered from Ideal and my ship date is next Wednesday. I'm freaked. I totally understand you "having to mend." I've never ordered before - always got my clucks from the feed store - but after looking on this site I decided I wanted certain breeds instead of just getting what they had without knowing anything. If there's a feed store near you maybe they'll have LIVE clucks that are the breed you want.

(must not freak out, must remain calm)

Again...sorry.

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    The PO seems to be slipping a lot lately. Normally they do so good, I have had a lot of complaints from my customers of items I shipped not arriving. Something must be up with them this started just this month.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:They couldn't have shipped Monday, it was a Federal holiday.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:They couldn't have shipped Monday, it was a Federal holiday.

I'm not sure if they take them to the airport or they are picked up, if they are delivering them to the airport it is still possible they were shipped on Monday.

I also believe Ideal ships on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the OP may have his days mixed up.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I ordered 30 chicks on Mon. They were shipped on Wed. I got them at 6:30 AM Thurs. I ordered from Ideal because I think that is the closest hatchery to me. Sorry that this happened to you.

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Aw man! :-( I am so sorry!!! We've been incredibly lucky, I guess. Not always gotten breeds that looked like what we were supposed to get, but been mostly healthy and alive when arriving within a day.

[​IMG]

9. greenesacres

greenesacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks! All I know is when I called I was told they shipped Monday. I started getting anxious when they didn't come Wed. But considering there was no postal service Monday, I was looking forward to Thurs. They did not arrive and I called again. The weather has been cold here the past two days. Guess I should have waited. Ideal was very understanding, however, I didn't even go to the P.O. to look at them this morning because I didn't want to even look in the box.

Has this happened to anyone else?

10. hobbychick

hobbychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    So sorry about your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by